Hawkes Bay Fly Fishing Summer 2016

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Epicskwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkes Bay Fly Fishing Summer 2016
    Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 6:16pm
Epicskwid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've caught alot of Rainbows this summer on Hare and coppers and woolly buggers. I've been catch 5 fish most days . Here are all the photos to go with it , You can find all of these in videos on my youtube channel too. 
Along with Full reports on my Facebook Page : BlairWhitingFishing
YouTube :https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQPxUKbDkgscF_IbPr4YuuA

Of course i caught a lot more fish but these were the larger noteworthy ones. 
The top one is my PB at 5 pounds. Still yet to catch one of the big 6-8 pound fish i've seen in the river 
(Ngaruroro) I've found the browns to be notoriously difficult to catch . And they sleep on the bottom quite often, i stumbled upon one last night that woke up as i froze. and swam off calmly . 
Thanks for reading 
Blair

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 6:22pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try out some Rabbits as well as Grey Ghost etc during the spring season. For some awesome close to home action check out the lower reaches (by the bridges etc) of the Tutaekuri for Brown Beetle action just on dark in mid Nov through to Christmas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 9:23pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Try slowly swinging a small dark lure fly ie Wooly Bugger, Burgler, Rabbit, etc. just under the surface through the quiet water after dark.    It works especially well on browns in the lower reaches of the Tuki and no doubt the other major rivers in HB.     Browns are night hunters and patrol right into the shallows.   During the day most of the big browns are doggo under the willows but come out after dark.
Rainbow    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wayne.L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 4:09pm
Wayne.L View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Top effort Blair. The first fish looks mint.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Epicskwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 5:38pm
Epicskwid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Rainbow,
I certainly have seen the browns come out after dark sometimes into ankle deep water with dorsal fins sticking out. they always seem to spot me though and after they don't bolt but rather check you fly line out and you out before returning to feeding. I don't fish the tuki tuki all that much but i certainly know about the huge browns in that river. Granddad has a 14 1/2 pounder on the wall which he caught on a grey ghost in a backwater in the lower reaches. The only brown i've caught in Hawkes bay so far was the fish on the right third picture down. It was on a black woolly bugger in the middle of the day. In the ngaruroro there is a stretch that holds two resident browns that i have seen on more than one occasion, most of the time asleep on the bottom. there were hundreds of fish between 1-4 pounds in it. i must get some footage.

Tagit,
 i did catch a few rainbows on brown beetles in the Ngaruroro in very shallow water . And found some fish in the tutaekuri holding in backwaters , It was a very long walk between holding water though.

Thank you wayne,

Blair / Skwid

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 8:20am
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Heya, great fish there skwid. I'm heading down to the bay for queen's birthday. Anywhere you would recommend heading for a couple of hours? I'm keen to catch anything. Will be in Havelock North and am still a beginner.