Alvey reels

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alvey reels
    Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 8:45pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone use a alvey reel for boat fishing?, i have been given one but dont know if it is worth using it for coastal snapper fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paddle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 10:27am
paddle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm interested in buying an Avery reel does anyone have a suggestion or a tackle shop address in Auckland?

Good second hand would be interesting as I've a limited budget.Thanks

Reels for surfcasting not boat fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 9:22pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have bought my latest one from online store in aussie , way cheaper than here and 4 days to deliver, will post address tomrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paddle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 7:08am
paddle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by King Con King Con wrote:

I have bought my latest one from online store in aussie , way cheaper than here and 4 days to deliver, will post address tomrow

That would be most helpfull King Con. Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 10:47pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

anglerswarehouse.com.au
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 6:41pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hunts Sports Store on Forrest Hill Road on the North Shore is the best place to get advice on all things Alvey.

You could try asking Bruce Alvey on his facebook page for advice.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 7:46pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hunts sports on the shore x2, talk to them about alley reels
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 11:10pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hunts Sports to buy one. I have found them horrible for fishing off the boat but I use nothing else for shore based fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 11:53pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I too have found it horrible of the boat, but it has accounted for some ok snapper, the problem is that on fish with any weight , the reel spins right angle to the rod (casting position) and then causes problems, apart from that it is quite fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda-Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 7:20pm
Wanda-Ra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Did you try a specific boating  reel or a surfcasting one off the boat ?  I have one of each type and the surfcasting type is a real pain standup on the boat.

Also make sure you have a rod suited to alvey reels,you will need a shorter butt on the rod. the first eyelet from the reel should be oversize to help the line strip off the reel smoother when casting,the eyelet on my rod you could pass an apple through. Notice how short the butts are on these rods http://alvey.com.au/products/rod6500/  

The older reels had huge guides on the reels to help with casting http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/fishing/big-game/reels/auction-1129428664.htm

in general a boat reel will look like this http://alvey.com.au/products/825bcv/  with the metal loop on it to direct the line.

a non boat type will generally not have the metal loop  http://alvey.com.au/products/6500bcv/