Jigging Smelt Flies

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:32pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Redfinger

I'm based in SE Auckland. I have a young family now and don't get to do the fly fishing I did when I was younger. I mostly fish for snapper in the western part of the Tamaki Strait, and am experimenting with soft baits after years of bait fishing. The whole process of soft baiting reminds me of fly fishing a lot - from trying to find the killer lure colour, through to trying to get a casting drift which is similar to nymphing a big pool on the Tongariro. 

I'm enjoying reading some of the fresh water forums/reports for the first time. I agree with Herb's comment in another thread I just read that there is a real enjoyment in tying your own flies. I started doing that when i was a teenager, selling them to a fishing shop which used to be in downtown Auckland, near what is now Britomart. I devoured lots of books and particularly American magazines for fly patterns and little secrets I could try to get an advantage on the river, where it's pretty competitive angling in the peak runs. It's great to be able to follow other fishos up a pool like the Judges or Hydro and pick up fish where others have drawn a blank - due to, I'd like to think, having done my homework.

On the weekend, i'll try to take a daylight photo of the caddis grub and post it here.

Page  <12