Boat in shed, shed caught fire

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 8:14pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

how did it start battlecat? we had a flourescent fixture short in the boat garage the other night. just alot of smoke but breaker went just in time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 9:46pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey BC,
Have you figured out a way to get the motor to run for a good period of time?
Have you removed and tried to power up the sounder in on a similar connection etc?
Cheers
T
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BattleCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 6:54pm
BattleCat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So another update today.

Apparently there is a marine act that says repairs can be upto value insured.
So, I have two options as it stands.
1. Get the boat back now, and 15k cash settlement. (boat valued at 28k pre-fire, sold as is now 13k)
or,
2. Insurance repairs it, so far totalling 17k inc gst, but waiting on upholstery quote. However itll obviously take a bit of time for all these repairs and insurance bollocks to get moving. Which suits me cause we're about to start Maize harvest and the next 2 months are a write off haha.

So good news as I see it.
So the fire started at an old electric waterblaster next to fridge. short circuited or something.

NZTurtle, they had the Motor running for about half an hour after the boat got cleaned. All the electronics work on the boat, power to the cabin, sounder works, gauges still work, vhf works.. The brand new only used once hydraulic steering still works great.

New paint job, canopy and windscreen and itll be worth quite a lot after looking fresh :) maybe I can find a 2nd hand 4 stroke to chuck on.

Got my marlin (tastes good) for the season last weekend, so in all aspects things are looking up!
6m circa and a red beard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 7:31pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dump question.is this all on your marine policy? Can it be covered under home n contents policy.?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BattleCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 7:33pm
BattleCat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Dump question.is this all on your marine policy? Can it be covered under home n contents policy.?

yup all on marine insurance.

got seperate claim for contents ie/ my fishing rods n reels
6m circa and a red beard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BattleCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 6:13pm
BattleCat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wow, so with the upholstery quote it come up to a total of 23083.40   .... 83 dollars over my insured sum and they want to write it off.

I found in my insurance policy specially in additions to boat that they cover it in that years period of insurance. So at Xmas I bought hydraulic steering 1500 worth. So hopefully that pushes value up and they will now repair it. Insurance company will talk to underwriters on Monday after I made my assessor aware of this.

Otherwise, I take 23k settlement.
Or, get the boat and 15k settlement, which id spend on paint job and windscreen.

Back to the waiting game again
6m circa and a red beard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 6:28pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

did the metal test come back? depending on test you might be better off with the cash. hull may seem fine now but who knows in the future what will happen to hull being stressed in water?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BattleCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 6:39pm
BattleCat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well, if they were gunna go ahead with repairs, one would assume (never assume) that the hull came back in good condition
6m circa and a red beard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BattleCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 10:34pm
BattleCat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great success. The hydraulic steering increased my sum insured and now they're repairing it. Such relief. Now to find a 4stroke to put on it I think
6m circa and a red beard
Page  <12