Orsome Otaki!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Orsome Otaki!!!
    Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 7:00pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went for a fish / packraft on the lower reaches of the Otaki today, Wellington's only true braided river like it's South Island cousins, some big fish round!!!! Landed half a dozen, all on tiny dries, they were rising like crazy, including these two at 6.5lb and 5lb among the swimmers and stick throwers under the SH1 bridge!

Stonking condition and fight! The pack raft was made for rivers like this - 20min back to the car... not 1.5hr walk!

Many small Rainbows and browns to 2lb, I think most think it is fish-less... so go get 'em!

https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 8:07pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow amazing I lived in Wgtn when a kid and used to go walking in bush there, nice fish,
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 8:18pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers mate, these were right down by the state highway 1, barren ugly water, but you never know what lurks beneath until you try though! Also good to see another Welly rainbow fishery on the rise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 6:16am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

get back to work!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 9:08pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You tell him Ritchie. Back to work Andrew. Fishing is work.LOL Beautiful fish Andrew.

Read your post with great nostalgia. Used to fish by that bridge and down toward the mouth when i was young. Are there still huge groves of Banana passion Fruit growing along the areas back from the banks.?

But here is a true story from the Otaki that i still vividly remember. Went eeling up near the gorge one night.There was a ledge about two meters wide & 100 meters long with about knee deep water and then the drop off into deep water. At each end of the ledge was a rocky outcrop. I choose to go to the far outcrop to fish. Began to walk along this by torchlight and about a third of the way along my brother said get out of the water ,there is a huge eel after you. Could sense this was no joke. Got quickly back to start point and out of the water. And there it was. A giant eel coming up from the deep. It was mainly white,and massive like a big log just drifting up from the depth. It then came in and nosed along where i had been walking and just as quickly vanished back into the deep water.Have never seen a white looking eel before and nothing as big as that. It was literally as round as a tree trunk. Very scary. I have caught several congers going 30 lb before and this dwarfed them.Would have been at least 4-5 times wider in the girth and across the back than they were. At a guess would have to have been well over the 100lb mark. An eel like that could grab a leg and easily drag a person down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 10:18am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was working very hard I assure you brother! We smashed 'em again back country yesterday, stand by for some epic back country dry fly video action!.. It will turn you from Salt to Fresh Ritchie!

I believe you John, the largest Eel I have ever seen was in the Otaki, around 6ft and thick as my leg... suffice to say there were NO trout in that pool!

Andrew