Raglan!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote glassl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raglan!!
    Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 11:12pm
glassl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everybody,

I am new to the forum. Have been living in hamilton for a while. Just got a boat and keen to head out to raglan and get back into fishing. I have heard there is good fishing inside the bar/harbour. Is this true? Looking to catch some snapper or other bottom fish. Would appreciate any help and tips.

Cheers
Louis
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote glassl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 4:11pm
glassl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out for a fish at raglan today, didn't go out over the bar as I was not game since I have no experience with it. Just fished in the harbour. Got a few small snapper and a kahawai so that answers my question, need to go out over the bar to get anything decent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:15pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There's some good fish in the harbour but more consistent outside. What boat have you got ?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote glassl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:20pm
glassl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

16 foot ray glass. I think the boat itself is fine yo cross the bar as I saw smaller boats go out but I just haven't got the experience. I watched the coastguard video on crossing the raglan bar which was pretty interesting. Do you go out over the bar much?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 10:40pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Book in and do a bar crossing course with the raglan coast guard, well  worth it, good fish in the harbor at certain times of year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote glassl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:08am
glassl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Tonyg26 Tonyg26 wrote:

Book in and do a bar crossing course with the raglan coast guard, well  worth it, good fish in the harbor at certain times of year.

Yea I am planning on doing that. Just gotta check when the next one is. Where in the harbour and what times of the year are best?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:21am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have you tried launching at Manu. Shouldn't be too bad in that sized boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote glassl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:36am
glassl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Gowest Gowest wrote:

Have you tried launching at Manu. Shouldn't be too bad in that sized boat

Yea I went and had a look, was thinking about it on Sunday but it looks like there can be a good swell and I didn't have an appropriate crew to launch in the swell. I hear they are building a better breakwater as well. Should be a lot better once that is done. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 2:08pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't rush it glassl if your confidence isn't there just don't till it is. Suggest the first time over the bar buddy up with someone else you trust. Pick your days as some you can water ski over. You can also ask guys at the ramp to keep an eye out for you and you can follow them. Call coast guard always with your intentions. If you have a GPS that records trips you will have a path that you can refer to when the sea boils white when crossing. Obviously all safety gear in play.
In the harbour head up the harbour on a incoming tide - round the corner has some nice channels to anchor and drift out weighted baits also drop a flasher rig. Expect kawahai/trevally/gurnard/ snapper with the odd shark/sting ray and kingi. Change of light is good.

Ive never limited out but have got some respectable bins while waiting for the flounder net to do its thing. Lovely harbour that one.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb