Rod sections stuck....!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote peterdb1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rod sections stuck....!
    Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:04pm
peterdb1971 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Any tips or tricks for separating 2 rod sections? I've tried various things - wrapped the rod in a bag of peas, behind the back/knees etc - without any joy! Any tips appreciated - except snapping it over my kneeTongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:07pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got one apart recently on a saltwater rod Peter by pouring very hot water on the ferrule, then wait a few seconds and go the peas, worked a treat! Expansion and contraction and all that...
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote peterdb1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:24pm
Bronze
Bronze

Doh - did the peas a few weeks back but without the hot water first - will try again, cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 8:28am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea as Andrew said!Wink  

Just remember that the cold will cause contraction and the hot expansion.  So get the spigot piece nice and cold and the ferrule piece nice and hot. 

Once you do get it apart, try rubbing a candle on the spigot piece?  Will help lubricate the joint it so that it fits up snug and comes apart in the future? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 8:47am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Fraser Hocks Fraser Hocks wrote:

Yea as Andrew said!Wink  

Just remember that the cold will cause contraction and the hot expansion.  So get the spigot piece nice and cold and the ferrule piece nice and hot. 

Once you do get it apart, try rubbing a candle on the spigot piece?  Will help lubricate the joint it so that it fits up snug and comes apart in the future? 

Hi Fraser

One of the first things I was shown many years ago when starting to fly fish was a simple tip but an invaluable one, that has never failed, namely :-

Before assembling each time any of the sections rotate the male spigot in either side of of your nose ( not up nostril ) where the skin has a reservoir of body oil & an ideal coating is imparted to the spigot ensuring the sections hold together yet come apart with ease.   
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 8:50am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would personally not use wax before fitting together unless the manufacturer recommends this. It can cause a miss-fitting of the joint and a breakage which could cause problems with a warranty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RTJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 11:55am
RTJC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Try this, it has worked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8bOgtWtrNE
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote peterdb1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 9:01pm
Bronze
Bronze

Success!! The hot and cold trip followed by the 4 handed cross over technique, followed by some twisting and persuasion.......thanks for all the tips!Big smile