Torpedo advice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntaway.tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torpedo advice
    Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 11:44am
huntaway.tom View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys,
Just bought a new torpedo and was after a bit of advice.
Firstly insurance? will any company cover it if you were to lose it? (my provider wont)

Secondly, if I were to run a second line on a separate spool as a safety line and crimped on small net floats on it for the first 100m to keep it away from the main line with hooks. Would this work?

I will mainly use it on an isolated beach between the port and raglan so boat traffic is not too much of a problem if the safety line were to float completely.

Reason I ask is that I have only ever put out 3 torpedos where I am and have lost 2 of them.

I am aware of the 'shorething' trailer, what do these work like?

Would love some advice from some veterans.

Cheers,
Tom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntaway.tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 11:50am
huntaway.tom View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

After watching the shorething video,
Would it not be possible to just clip a dropper rig on?
Just the same as if fishing a dropper rig from a kite?
So your main line is away from your hooks.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wannabeboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 7:03pm
wannabeboater View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Keen to hear more on these, have just bought one for my husband, thought of losing it scares me for the price!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 9:02am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont bother trying to attach a second line,it will just cause headaches.If there was a saftey device it would already have been marketed.Just use heavier main line...like 400lb or so,double crimp all your joins,attach 60lb trace to sinkers so if they get caught they will break away.use longline hooks to reduce snagging.Theres not alot that can be done to back the system up really,I have spent alot of time thinking about it,before and after beers.Just dont set it with anything over 2mtr swells or on big tides. ive heard its a bit rough on the bottom down raglan way so thats maybe why you lost the kontiki's.....sunken trees or old car wrecks may be to blame.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flight engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 7:03pm
flight engineer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a shore thing and mostly launch at Kariotahi (south side towards the port), so conditions are pretty similar to you. I had the same concerns which is why I got the shore thing. They work well as long as you take the time to wind it up properly on retrieval as I have had an instance of the line not deploying (pretty sad seeing the reel come back to shore fully spooled after waiting for an hour). Other than that they are great as they make it real easy to launch no frantic clipping on of traces) and no worries about being bitten off by sharks. 
Check out the u tube clips which provide good info

Dean
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 10:23am
Titanium
Titanium

you can still lose the rig from sharks,just not as risky.A shark could pick up the mainline behind the sure thing.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 9:11pm
lok View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Seadart how far south of the surf club do you go?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 9:12pm
lok View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry "flight enginner" how far south of the surf club do you go?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote macrayfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 6:18pm
macrayfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

you can still lose the rig from sharks,just not as risky.A shark could pick up the mainline behind the sure thing.

Well you may as well say a shark could attack the torpedo...but it ain't going to happen is it?
An ill informed comment if you don't mind me saying so.
The S/thing was design to avoid sharks biting off the mainline - end of story.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 9:44am
Titanium
Titanium

dude,a shark can attack a torpedo....Ive seen them having a go at small logs while on a boat out the west coast.....use a bit of logic before slaging others comments....and as for the shore thing...all it takes is a shark to take a fish or a bait and start rolling on thedropper line....then what knowall?