New Rod question

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waihekeFishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rod question
    Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:42pm
waihekeFishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thinking of a getting a new toy for myself :)

I'm looking at a new spin rod, mostly for soft bait, micro jigs, small lures, somewhere in the 4-8 kg category.

I'm thinking of a slightly longer rod, and been looking at:

-- CD Rods Extra Sense nano 4-8 7'9"
 -- Ocean angler microwave rods.

2 questions for you:

What do you think of longer rods for small lure throwing, will be used from boat (will keep shorter rod for kayak)?

What do you reckon of those two?  Any other suggestions?

Cheers Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:57pm
Dave B View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have just got myself a Shimano Colt Sniper rod.  Rated up to 15lb line weight. Has a fast action, with a very sensitive tip.
Maximum jig weight is 60gm.
I use it in the shallows, up to 20m, and totally rate it. Not badly priced at $120.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 3:01pm
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have the CD nano slow jig in overhead for slow jigs etc, love it for the price. 

The Ocean angler rods just seem a hhmm... odd to me, the microwave eye, the promo videos etc.. Never used one though, im sure they would do the job.

My spin rod for micro jigs/soft bait is 7 foot, I can cast light lures more than far enough and it fits in the car/boat no problems 1 piece. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:07pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hiya,

I recently purchased an Okuma X-Factor 6-10kg 7' rod from Top Catch, as a cheap combo with braid etc, to use as a soft bait cross light inchiku rod. The assistant reckons it is an ideal rod for that kind of crossover, and is a better rod than its price indicates. I've found it great for soft bait casting, and it had enough power when playing decent snapper. It didn't seem too stiff to fish inchikus.

As others have alluded to, 'slow jig' rods tend to be much softer in the tip than soft bait rods, and are generally shorter and designed for overhead reels. They aren't designed for striking home soft baits, more winding until the fish hooks up. John Eichelsheim from NZ Fishing News reported using longer spin rods for micro-jigging.

It seems logical that the longer the rod the easier to cast long distances. Mark Kitteridge of NZ Fishing News and a number of books is a pal of Ocean Angler owner Paul Senior, but speaks highly of the Ocean Angler Microwave which is 7'10". He's got a reputation to protect, so you'd think that was genuine.

Having a composite blank like the X-Factor rather than high modulus graphite would give you a bit more security in terms of rod fragility in a smaller craft, and possible high-sticking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote parky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 12:52pm
parky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Try a okuma nanomatrix, bloody good rod, have had xfactor in past and for lightness and feel it is unreal and far superior.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 4:14pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haven't used either but have a Yeehaa custom 703 softbait rod which is a little over 7 foot. After a few years of using that rod I'd now like something closer to 8 foot. In my experience the further you can cast the more fish you catch. A longer rod also helps with the line pick up on very long casts when you want to set the hook at distance - provided it has a crisp action and isn't too spongy. I'd be interested to hear what others think of that ocean angler rod....
www.northsideadventures.co.nz
www.facebook.com/northsideadventures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 4:44pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gofish have the superb Cousins rods in stock which are mean have four, three are 7ft and one is 6'9. All four fish softbaits mainly and all have a different style to the way I fish the softbait. 

7ft is plenty IMO and its not how far you cast ( I know plenty who cast further than me ) its where you cast that counts being able to read any sign and the features you are fishing and putting it on the spot. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 6:30pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a Hearty Rise stalker 7 foot 3 from Greg at GoFish.

Super light blank with a flexy tip. Fast action through the rest of the blank. Casts great and awesome hook setting power. 

Well worth a look.
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 6:48pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have the yeehaa 703 and it's probably one of the best pure softbait rods around
I have also been trying out a zeikel 4-8lb (should be more a 4-6kg imo)7'5 2 piece. Wicked rods for the price and will work softbaits and inchiku really good. Been using it with 30g casting jigs and they go a mile
At $140 for rod buff and inchiku they are wicked deal at mo. Pm me if you want to have a look at mine
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:26am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This thread has convinced me I need at least another two rods LOL

www.northsideadventures.co.nz
www.facebook.com/northsideadventures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 7:17am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I only fish softies and now am fooling around with micros a bit.

I just had to replace my trusty softbait rod and wanting to try nano so I got an affordable but rated Nano from Okuma.

What a great little rod it is in terms of feel and lift etc.

A bunch of fun.

I would however like to extend the butt a few hundie (and will) as they shorten them a bit much for me.

I think bang for buck Okuma are fine in terms of rods.

I am more in touch with what is happening to my terminal tackle with this rod than my old one for sure, and that's pretty cool and goes toward more hook-ups so it's a keeper.

In short I can recommend anything nano and mine seems to work the micros well enough that I am catching stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 9:42pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OA Microwave not a bad rod- soft tip/ fast action, and it's a very light rod. Paired with a Rarenium 4000FB makes for a light but powerful combo.