Old EPIRB - give it away or dump it ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old EPIRB - give it away or dump it ?
    Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 6:50pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My old EPIRB is 3 years over it's 5 year recommended life, but it still self-tests fine. Buying new one was cheaper than replacing the battery, so that's what I've done.
They aren't cheap though - several hundred $ that I'm sure many boaties just aren't prepared to fork out. I thought I might give it away, on the basis that it's better than no EPIRB, but I imagine some would consider it irresponsible rather than generous. Thoughts ?
PS: How many of you still carry your expired flares as backups ? 
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 7:17pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Irresponsible I think - as its giving something that's probably unsafe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 7:44pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hand it in to shop for disposal - could give a false sense of security or kids might activate it for fun.  Also GPS models have s/n and need to have user details and boat  registered with maritime safety - some older epirbs are not supported (monitored) any more.
Flares I keep on board as backup for a few years after expiry with new ones if in good condition or pass onto someone who doesn't have,  Have seen flares that are 5 yrs past expiry still work though not guaranteed. 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 8:34pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Re: old flares, our local Coastguard had a demo night where everyone brought along their expired flares. About 60% of them failed to go off. Enough said.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 8:43pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by KikBac KikBac wrote:

Re: old flares, our local Coastguard had a demo night where everyone brought along their expired flares. About 60% of them failed to go off....
Thanks KikBac good to know - sounds like once expired hand in for disposal?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote duncb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 9:06pm
duncb View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Out of date flares and epirbs have no place on a boat. They give a totally false sense of security. Anyone who goes boating without at least an up to date coastal flare pack is an idiot. It's not just your life you risk but the people who have to rescue you. If you fish more than a few miles offshore and out of sight of other boats an epirb is a must. If you can't afford either you shouldn't be on the water. It's that simple.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 10:01pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I see in the boatshop that there are now electronic handheld "flares"... Pricey, but the battery is a five year one, and is supposed to be as effective as a pyrotechnic flare. I am seriously thinking of grabbing one.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote duncb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 10:29pm
duncb View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Capt Asparagus. Any bit of equipment that could save your life when it all goes pear shaped can hardly be considered expensive. It never ceases to amaze me how people own even a $10000 boat which is not exactly a flash boat nowadays will happily spend $500 on a fishing rod and then moan that a basic flare pack costs $150 and never buy one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 5:43am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

I see in the boatshop that there are now electronic handheld "flares"... Pricey, but the battery is a five year one, and is supposed to be as effective as a pyrotechnic flare. I am seriously thinking of grabbing one.
Capt I had a look online and all Red LED flares I could find where described as road flares?  Anyway Red is  night time you still need an orange smoke flare for daytime use on the water?
With price of Epirbs coming down and longer expiry dates compared to flares if money is an issue (and it is for some) I would go with cellphone in waterproof bag, VHF handheld, Epirb then flares?  I have all of these.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 9:31am
Bay Marine Electronics View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

http://www.brightideas.co.nz/shop/product/11-odeo-led-flare/#.VhWBIiv7Oao
0800 BAY MARINE www.baymarineelectronics.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:18am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bay Marine Electronics Bay Marine Electronics wrote:

http://www.brightideas.co.nz/shop/product/11-odeo-led-flare/#.VhWBIiv7Oao
Thanks Bay Marine - had a look at link and it sounds perfect for RED Flare replacement,  a run time of 6hrs is great to compared to 30seconds for a flare and similar brightness. 
What is expiry on battery (how long) and are they replaceable and at what cost?  Depending on this at $199 could be good value as you can buy orange flares separately.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 1:30pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I purchased one of these at the Boatshow - $179.
I am going to carry it as a backup device.
Like everyone else my flares go out of date, buy new etc.
I can remember being on a 20 ft Haines that broke down between White Island
and Whakatane. This was before GPS, plotters and dedicated Coastguard boats - they were volunteers and used their own boats.
Got on the radio to Coastguard, but had to wait until well after dark for the tow boat to turn up.....on his way out he asked us to fire a flare for location. I fired of 5 before one lit up.....another 2 duds and got a hand flare to work!
So the ODEO LED flare is going to be a very useful backup. Just got to keep it away from the party set!