4 stroke minimum? Sub $10k

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 stroke minimum? Sub $10k
    Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 1:17pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive been toying with the idea of a ski for various reasons but mostly space.

Ive seen FXHOs on trademe for $8k, so the four strokes are getting cheaper used. But mostly you see 06 gp1200 2 strokes.

But plenty of standard VX and FX models which still do 100kph, so are the an acceptable starting model?

Also are ski engines hard for the home mechanic to work on? Coming from doing most of the outboard servicing basics, its there a fair bit the DIY guy can do to keep his SKI reliable and safe and save some $?

Havnt looked at other brands for cheaper 4 strokes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 5:19pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

FF, yep I went through same dilemma several months ago, moving from yak to ski though.
I looked for months on tm, set my sites on a yammie 4 stroke latish model with low hours. Have ended up with 2007 FXHO with 87 hours, chiilly bin etc for a bit under 10k, have only been out 3 times so far but slowly getting it set up to how I want it, enjoying the freedom on it, still getting use to the speed, 50km on the water  that low down is way faster then what I use to paddle. cheers & good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 6:52pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Definately go as new as you can as I think the ski's are making big steps year after year at the moment. Depending on your budget don't rule out seadoo gtx 155's, aslong as it's 2010 or newer, as I think seadoo have alot more features in there skis than yamaha, like iBR (intelligent brake and reverse) which enables enables you to start the ski without moving forwards and idle on the spot, which after having I don't think I could go to a ski that didn't have this feature.
I wouldn't worry too much about what your top speed is, it will be faster than a boat no matter what you get.
It's also definately cheaper to buy one thats already set up for fishing rather than having to buy and install everything yourself.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 6:24pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i was actually considering the VX for range based off an overseas expert who puts range ahead of power. in saying that the FX is supposedly drier riding in a chop?

so setting up safety wise i presume u have plb's as well as an epirb and a full powered radio as a 5w handheld is next to useless unless you a few hundred metres from shore etc? how do you wire the radio and where does the antenna go?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:56pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

which of the older cheaper sea doos make good fishing skis?

id prefer non super charged skis. prefer range over speed. and size/stability.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jetskifishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 9:13pm
jetskifishing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

which of the older cheaper sea doos make good fishing skis?

id prefer non super charged skis. prefer range over speed. and size/stability.

4 stroke GTi or GTX if looking at Sea-Doo range, look forward to helping you get setup with Jetskifishing when you go the next stage :-)
Jetskifishing Monster Snapper Hunt, 15th-17th October 2021
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CarlW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 9:14pm
CarlW View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

FF, If you haven't been to this site yet have a look, they have a lot of good info on buying ski's, as well as a 'top ten' list of ski's towards the bottom of the page (including specific year of manufacture for models).

http://www.skimd.co.nz

“My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.”
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 9:42pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

brill carl, thats what i was looking for. its good that we are now getting affordable 4 stroke skis on the market.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 10:50am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

after coxies comments re no neutral on skis im thinking a seadoo is a must. but going to be impossible to fit in my budget at this point.

are there any older skis that had a neutral?

i see some people overseas say get a super charged one and maintain that as you will be running the engine at less revs vs the gti155 which you will be thrashing and having to rebuild the entire engine more regularly. hope that makes sense?

also are most 3 seaters stable enough for 2 people to fish from?

can i spearfish from one and if so is reentry from the rear?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Devon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 12:45pm
Devon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Re-entry from the side is easiest if you've got gear on the back. Saw an older VX on FB the other day for 6K but it had done over 500hrs, mind you I'd have more faith in the reliability of a well looked after ski with a heap of hours than one that has sat for 10 years and had bugger all use 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 6:38pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers, plenty of 4 strokes in yammy and seadoo around the $8k asking so potentially $7k with sub 100 hours. im liking the sound of seadoos cooling system being more reliable though.