question on leaders/trace.

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 9:28am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just an observation for the blokes crimping.

There seems to be a few blokes that 'crush the crap' out of the crimp when swaging their connections.
Absolute brute force -

What they don't realise is that they are introducing microscopic fractures into the line and a potential weak spot.

There is a fine line between just right and overcooked (excess force).

I guess a lot comes down to practice to get that just tight/hard feel in the crimping tool once you have squashed the crimp.
The other thing is to crimp properly - it's amazing how many blokes still crimp horizontally as opposed to it vertical.

@Krow - had to have a laugh at your comment about the towel bit.
I was with blokes who were 'testing' crimps using exactly the same method around the tow hitch on the front bull bar. One of the knots let go and the crimp flew back and cracked his windscreen.

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 9:06pm
bluefox_13 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks 4 all the info guys. Guess the next question is how long do you make your leaders?
Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 11:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mine are just under 6 feet -and using wind on.  I spread my arms wide to measure off -(that is just under 6 feet, as I'm under 6 feet tall) then allow a bit more (a foot more) for rigging.  Will shorten windon to ensure IGFA legal.  I've seen some using even shorter traces with wind ons -which may make storage easier but I like bit of space between lure and swivel on end of my wind on.
I used Shogun 200lb last few years on smaller lures -(purchased from Lauries bulk hank of it).  Good trace very supple. But needs replacing after each billfish encounter as soft.
Have some old jinkai in about 120lb for skippie lures and have also used Duel flourocarbon 120lb on skippy tuna lures.  Flouro did work pretty well  and seemed to get hit a lot more.  Worked well but needed right size metal double barrel crimps to get a good connection -flouro is harder to crimp- as harder surface and smoother than nylon.  Preference also to use aluminum crimps rather than metal which can damage line/trace where trace enters or leaves a metal crimp.
Problem with heavier flourocarbon would be not supple and may therefore effect action of your lure 
I also use a range of heavier trace for my larger lures 300-400lb.  Black magic (tough and supple), Penn and Momoi all been good in my experience.

Krow you probably need to find some crimps specifically for 300lb.  I think Boone do alloy crimps in 250-300lb and 300 to 350lb size.  I'm always buying crimps it would seem and trying get right  sizes -possibly downside to  using different brands and diameters of trace.  The crimps we use for 400lb will slip on 300lb trace and 200 size crimps won't fit 300lb trace, as I've found out when  re-rigging odd lure rigged on 300lb and using the small selection of crimps I take out on boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 10:22am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can buy wind ones. Cut them your trace material off end.

Sorted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 8:57pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Shane.
Just sourced some 1.8 from Go Fish. That should/might fit my 300lb better. I'll see next week when I get delivery.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 9:43pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by karm karm wrote:

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

No to fluorocarbon. Smaller lures on 200pound or maybe 250pound, and larger lures on 400 pound is the general rule. Don't have any brand preferences.
Bob , why  "no to fluro '

Good question, never have myself. I've rarely, if ever, seen anybody recommend it.

When you think about it, the main event (lure) is making big smoky trails and fizzing and popping through the water. The trace is also making a bit of a rooster tail as the lure ducks and dives. The low refractive index of Fluoro or its increased density is really unlikely to be of any consequence given everything else that's going on around the lure. 
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Dave0308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 10:29pm
Dave0308 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Also i read somewhere that the fluro is stiffer and may hinder the action of your lure, but probibly on smaller lures maby.

Page  <12