A Day Late

Post Options Post Options   Likes (16) Likes(16)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Day Late
    Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:21am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

The first day of spring arrived and it just so happened to be my 1st day of a couple of weeks leave.

I had been planning on getting out for a scallop dive on the 1st, unfortunately the weather forecast was rubbish and my crew got scared and went to work. 

The wind dropped off around 11am, down from 40kts earlier in the morning so I decided to hook the boat up and head out for a look see. 

The rain hadn't cleared mind you....

Got down the bottom end and found the swell that had been churned up by the wind hadn't settled either and the huge current opposing the swells made for some interesting boating around Kauri Pt. 

So that put a stop to my dive plans, wasn't really the appropriate weather to jump in without a boat man, (thats why they call me sensible Dave). 

So i turned around and headed for calmer waters and had a quick fish but didn't get any inquiries so decided to head home and come back again tomorrow once things had settled down. 

So, the 2nd and the 2nd day of spring.... sent out the txt to a couple who had previously indicated they might be keen for some fishing on Wednesday and an hour later Boulder and Mikey 2 Pies were in the drive way holding on to their rods and tackle.

After cleaning out the bakery it was off to the ramp, those that know Maraetai will know it doesn't usually have this much water ..... 

Anyway, off we went in conditions much nicer than the day before!

Headed to the scallop bed 1st and got my dive gear sorted then something unusual happened, the Vindaloo I had the night before decided it was time to make an appearance. That in itself is not unusual but as most divers will know, that urge usually comes AFTER you have finished suiting up. So I shot down to the throne and left the other two to throw some soft baits around and Mike managed  to pick up a snapper for the bin! 

With the paper work all done I suited up and dropped the anchor (the one on the bow) on the scallop bed and jumped in for the 1st scally dive of the season. The water was like soup with about 1m  visibility and it was pretty cold on the bottom so not the nicest of dives but thankfully the scallops were in abundance so I didn't have to stay down long! 

They were fat too

With the diving done and dusted we head back to where we have been finding a few snapper lately. We picked up a few then noticed gannets going nuts not too far away so we made a beeline for those and pretty soon Myself and Mike had some nice snapper going in the bin, Boulder on the other hand was having some trouble getting started, i guess that happens when you get old. 

But soon enough even Boulder managed to find some and to be fair I think he may have caught the most and he was even claiming he had caught the biggest.

Acres of these guys...

We did a few drifts and moved around a bit following the action until the last spot saw us plagued with big kahawai so we decided the bin was full and the heavens were about to open we didn't want to be around when the predicted 35kts of wind arrived so we set a course for home!

Home by 2.30 to clean this lot up...

So it may have been a day late but it certainly appeared as though spring has sprung!

If you looking to get out over the weekend the area behind Rotoroa/Pakatoa all the way out into the middle of the firth behind shag was swarming with gannets and the Kahawai we were catching had been gorging on pillies. Didn't seem to matter what soft baits we used, they all got hit. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:30am
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Very nice bro! Hoping to have a nudge at the Mercs scallies tomorrow, can't wait for that first feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 11:17am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice report RB. [Liked]. I was out in the same general area last Friday with another forum member but we were a little late getting started, so missed the mother of all workups just inside Kauri Point.  I have never seen so many satisfied gannets sitting on the water in one place! 
Unfortunately, we didn't have the time available to sit and wait for the next turn of the tide so after some further explorations our day was one which we decided to call "paying it forward" with the spot definitely in the memory banks for another mission.
The ice creams from the Kawakawa Bay dairy were good....LOL
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 12:24pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Great intel RB and i a nice storyLOL
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 12:49pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Great update and a top day out Bull. Ninja Large Stone mentioned he was having scollies for lunch today!

Liked!
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NumnuT_AUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 1:55pm
NumnuT_AUS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great yarn, pics & fish..

mmm... scallops...Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 2:35pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

bugger sometimes i wish i never left AK but that would be the only time when the fish are biting,
great trip report RB and Co, hope to hear of a few more before you go back to work..
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 3:13pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well done on a "watch fishing on tv" day! tough buggers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rob Optimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 7:54pm
Rob Optimist View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice to have a feed of scollies, great trip and well worth the extra day by the looks
               "attitude is everything"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 8:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's a cool report Sensible Dave. Those scallops look fantastic, can't wait for a chance to get some muddy flavoured ones from the Manukau.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote swanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 8:19pm
swanie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mike only had two piesWink, well done fulla, picked the right leave group there.
"Love the smell of Napalm in the morning"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 9:47pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah liked that RB!
I a little bit jelly tho..like most i guess.
love scollies
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"