Advice for dive gear for a fatty please?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keeweechris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice for dive gear for a fatty please?
    Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 5:40pm
Keeweechris View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi there, I'm a pretty big feller (120kg) and I have completed my open water course at the end of last summer and keen to look at getting some gear for the upcoming summer.

During the course for the pool sessions I used a BCD and tried both a duey weight harness and a standard belt. I didn't get on with the weight belt at all. It had to be very tight to stay on and was uncomfortable and I had lots of trouble balancing in the water. The harness was much better and reasonably comfortable. I was carrying a LOT of weight.... can't remember the exact amount but this was compounded my me new 7mm 2 pce wetsuit being fairly buoyant too.

When it came to the open water dives I was able to use a Halcyon set which had a big heavy backplate and had a few weights on the harness but didn't need to wear any extra weight belt or harness. It was very comfortable. I understand these are pretty expensive - but haven't seen any for sale so not sure exactly what they cost. I also quite liked that the harness is very adjustable so will change with me as I keep getting fitter and less of me (running half marathons is doing that!).

I'm just after a bit of advise from you guys, especially anyone similar build to myself how you get on with your gear and what you use before I head into a dive shop. I will be mainly using it crayfish catching and intend to dive fairly often.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 7:34pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you are keen on the backplate and harness idea, splash is one outlet that does them for quite a reasonable price.

For work I run a 7-pocket belt with a 3-point harness on quick release buckles I had hacked up and stitched on, a strap up the back and one over each shoulder to the belt so if you need to abandon it you pop the buckles and stay wearing the harness.  With the harness belt you can run the thing lower which helps with trim in the water and you can use standard BC's.  Also, run steel tanks for less lead...

I'm over 100-mumble Kg, so I know where you are coming from.  In the 37SS helmet, harness, bailout, tools, crap and all the other bollocks I take with me to work I've been weighed out at dry weight of over 160Kg at times...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 7:04pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

KiwiChris.
I have not dived for awhile.
But I would suggest that your weight is not the issue here.
We all become effectively weightless regardless or our BMI in the saltwater.
Those 2 piece 7 mm suits are a pain for beginners.
I think it is a marketing/sales strategy to get more $$ out of newbes to do additional dive classes like Peak Buoyancy.
Stay with a dive club,and try(don`t buy)  different setups till you feel comfortable.
Eventually you will find a rig you dig.
And if you stick with diving,your gear requirements will evolve/change also.
All normal progression.
You`re doing fine cobber.
Soldier on.
Enjoy 
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 7:19pm
Grasshoppa View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by 3rnzir 3rnzir wrote:

KiwiChris.
I have not dived for awhile.
But I would suggest that your weight is not the issue here.
We all become effectively weightless regardless or our BMI in the saltwater.
Those 2 piece 7 mm suits are a pain for beginners.
I think it is a marketing/sales strategy to get more $$ out of newbes to do additional dive classes like Peak Buoyancy.
Stay with a dive club,and try(don`t buy)  different setups till you feel comfortable.
Eventually you will find a rig you dig.
And if you stick with diving,your gear requirements will evolve/change also.
All normal progression.
You`re doing fine cobber.
Soldier on.
Enjoy 

Are you suggesting dont wear the "pain for beginners 7mm wetsuit" to negate the need for extra weight?

I do dive alot and disagree with your comments, when i'm lean and fit, i dont need much weight on my weight belt
Over winter, as my "winter insulation" (bodyfat and bodyweight) increases, i need more weight on my belt to achieve the same bouency

Im not such a fan of intergrated BCD weights and prefer to add any weight to weight belt

Just my opinion tho.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keeweechris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 8:04pm
Keeweechris View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for all the replies... As its all so new to me I'm just trying to get as much info as possible and any help to point me in the right direction and get me thinking so all info is a great help.

I'll look into a thinner wetsuit as the water warms as I reckon that will help with some of my worries and also flexibility but it's still only 13 deg out there at the moment!

Thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DiveDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 8:19am
DiveDR View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Like the guys above have said a back plate and wing is a great option and you will never grow out of it - both from advancing your diving and if you change size. 

There are plenty of options out there the Halycon is at the top of the range and you are paying for the name IMHO, I have a couple of Diverite units one that is 20+ years old and still going great. I would always suggest a named brand over some chinese import stuff.

For a weight system you can add 32lb pockets to the harness - you can get some nice quick release type so they are always ditchable. Another option that large guys can go with is a weight harness that goes over the shoulders. 

It sounds like a backplate and wing with a set of pockets would be perfect :-) enjoy.
Feel free to PM me or email [email protected] if you want to chat.