Garmin Webapp?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garmin Webapp?
    Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 9:33am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is there a Garmin version of webapp.navionics.com ?

Wouldn't mind having a good look at the charts prior to possibly purchasing a new fishfinder/gps combo. We tend to use the charts more than the sounder when out catching dinner (aka Blue Cod) down this way, hence my interest in the charts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 4:54pm
Bay Marine Electronics View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nah, you used to be able to do something similar with the Garmin car maps, but never with the marine charts as far as I'm aware.
0800 BAY MARINE www.baymarineelectronics.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:33pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You could always buy Garmin charts for your tablet if you have one.  I bought them for my ipad to check out the mapping before I bought my last chartplotter.  You need Garmin bluechart mobile, and although it says it is free you have to pay to download the charts -I seem to remember NZ & Aus was about $50.  If you go on to buy a Garmin plotter it is still handy as it will connect to the newer Garmin units via the built in wi-fi hub and you can upload/download tracks, waypoints, etc between the two.  If you decide you don't like it then that's a lot cheaper than buying a chartplotter to find out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bay Marine Electronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 9:00am
Bay Marine Electronics View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah the Garmin Apps are pretty good now too, if you have an iphone you can send SST and weather information to the GPSMAP7400 and 8000 series chartplotters too.

The other, cheaper, option if you just want to try out the charts is:
download Garmin Homeport software
Put a blank SD card into your mates chartplotter which has preloaded charts (557xs, 751xs, echomap range, 551, 555 etc...) and select "Copy inbuilt charts"
Put the card back into your computer and run homeport - you will be able to see the chart and plan your trips

You'll only be able to copy the inbuilt chart once however, and they can only be used in homeport software, so make sure you check with your mate first!
0800 BAY MARINE www.baymarineelectronics.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 4:00pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

dang, homeport is free now!