Hutt River

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hutt River
    Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 6:21pm
Tiggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I will be in the Hutt Valley for about a week in mid September. Has anybody tried fishing the river since the huge floods over the winter or have all the fish ended up as seagoing browns.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 9:13am
Troon View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Owen. The river has certainly come up at times but we haven't had what I'd call floods. Currently it's in great nick with some good fish. I had a 3 and a 3.25 this week and they were in cracker condition. The lower river will start fishing well with (hopefully) the whitebait starting to run. Swinging bait imitations usually works well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 10:48am
Mex View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yip, Ive been fishing it throughout winter and have found it quite hard going, but the last 2 weeks its been great with a few around the 3-4lb mark. Should only get better from now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 1:02pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I haven't even seen a fish in my usual stretches of the Hutt, maybe all the fish are further down river than my usual spots?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 7:02pm
Tiggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys.
 It sounds worthwhile to bring either my fly or spinning rod. I have been away for much of the winter but there were some biggish floods before we left.
  It was a tough trip to UK, I had some serious business to conduct on a couple  chalk streams in Hampshire but someone has to do it....
Owen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 8:30pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those floods were quite minor, would have done nothing to the fishery damage wise, trout are amazingly resilient to flooding and it's a short-course river really, fish washed downstream will quickly re-populate lies, pools and runs back upstream again. Drift dive numbers are down slightly, but still very healthy. Should see some Mayfly activity later in Sept.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 10:55pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hutt is such a resilient river. Used to fish it often as a kid with a mate.Used to catch train to Melling and wander miles up and down the river from there. Only ever used a spinning rod and reel ,with light mono.Only lure i used was the smallest silver Kahawai spinner i could get . Replaced trebbles with a single hook. Always caught trout ,with some good ones among them. Suspect a few of the better ones were sea run. Always brown trout. But best ever Trout,a beautiful searun which may have come from the river was out on the other side of the harbour. Caught on a live pilchard,went 14 lb.