Pigs 1.10 hr Sth of Auckland in a ute

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pigs 1.10 hr Sth of Auckland in a ute
    Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 9:11pm
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Been a while so thought would upload a memorable hunt from last weekend

Pig hunting is a funny old lark, all about meeting the right people at the right time and having the right luck on the day. Instead of heading north of Home ( Orewa) have been heading south of late

On the day All 3 things above synced and we were in !
Up nice n early, we were greeted with fresh marks and 7 mins into it the first bark echoed up the pines

Down to the bail first, but a distant last for the carry out. Guys watching so better carry this one.. Only a 90 pounder but felt that one bad on the legs and heart.

Oh well into another one now - this time a real stroppy fat model. Plenty of hippo in this one and
everyone glad to see the bike

The other boys also got 2 good ones a few km away...

Can it get better than this, damn straight - 2 hounds are off again down the creek and hitting a good pig with the main dog bailing it 2 km away. Other Dog looks a bit stumped on how to get down there so with a bit of encouragement ( kick ) the pig now has 2 good dogs to deal with. Turned into an awesome 110 ginger boar backed into a small waterfall. We decide to pull the main dog off and let him go, on that the boar charges at my mate - all on camera too - will try figure out how to do vids soon

Getting hungry now so back to base camp to put the 'umu' down
Wild pork, watercress , mutton , stuffing and heap of kumara and agrias...is there anything better

few energy drinks later its time to pull her up......
Why man stopped cooking under the ground is still beyond me, for those that know a good hangi / umu definitely takes some beating in a good shed :)

then back to the killing shed to skin / finish up and make the short trap back over the harb bridge. An awesome hunt and feed with some of the best blokes around 

( check out the fat on these ) with pork belly for tea with neighbours Sunday Eve.

Good recipe to keep everything tender and the flava profiles is rest the belly in a good apple cider, worcestchire sauce , hint of garam masala , black pepper corns , salt , ginger crushed etc for a good hour. ( make sure not to wet the crackling on top )

Then with a sharp knife ( i use our paring knife ) make small skin cuts on the top  and then with good olive oil and salt rub into the top skin.
Whack it in the lidded bbq in a disposable foil tray with a bit of the marinade below and leave alone for 2.5 hours on a low to moderate heat, the crackle will take in the last 45 mins and if not still hard u can finish the top off on the bbq grill for that smokey flavour :)

sorry i didnt get an after shot as ph was flat but will do next time :)
melts in your mouth but with the contrast of hard crackle -

Chur
Matt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 5:47pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Drool, nice handy pork, hard to beat Thumbs Up.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 10:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Lovely! I reckon them thar piggies came from the port
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 12:43pm
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Lovely! I reckon them thar piggies came from the port

You're onto it Smudge ! not far off there LOL