Hook removal. From humans!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hook removal. From humans!
    Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 12:54pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

While ago you would have seen I buried a 3/0 Gama in the back of my hand. Not pleasant.

Well, recent events offshore led to the discussion of hook removal from your body parts. With a new season coming up, someone (hopefully not me) will need this info.

Don't watch if you have a pussy stomach. Yes, it works.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 2:02pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My big tip, is always crush the barbs! Sure every now and again you may loose one due to it, but its better than trying to go through this in a pitching boat with spray going everywhere!  (yep, been there, got the Tshirt etc.. Confused)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 4:23pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Apparently there are occasions where the barb may need going thru , then chop off  and draw the hook back.
So I always had a set of side cutters in the boat, just in case... About a yr ago was making up a few traces with about a 5/0 or 6/0  and thought "just how hard would it be to chop off the barb with the side cutters....
Hmmm .. well its like this , there is no way I would want someone have to try and squeeze , shake pull with a pair of side cutters on a hook that may stuck deep in me... then still not chop that barb off
Now I have a small pair of $25 bolt cutters in the boat 1st aid kit.
The hook was either a owner or gamaski.. not elcheapos.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 6:28pm
Cigar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Apparently there are occasions where the barb may need going thru , then chop off  and draw the hook back.
Yeah, I've had to do that twice. First one thru the finger was almost painless, but the second one made my eyes water - it wasn't the hook itself, it was forcing the blunt treble thru on my inner thigh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 7:29am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i used that videoed method a few years back, it really is sweet as a nut and I didn't even feel the hook being removed.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishinmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 5:18pm
Fishinmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yea the small bolt cutter's are the go another important item is a bottle of meths for sterilization purposes, it makes the victim scream a bit but it works. I also use it on the building site for the same thing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 8:09pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We bought some small bolt cutters for work (GP surgery) after failing to cut through a solid hook. The method illustrated does usually work, there are a few others (hypodermic needle, slide down the hook to cover the barb) as pushing the hook all the way though and chopping it with bolt cutters really is the last/ worst option.
The most troublesome I've had have been Sabiki's as they are small, very sharp and often fished by kids. Understandably they are not too keen on any hook removal method.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scapeuce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 10:58pm
Scapeuce View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Apparently there are occasions where the barb may need going thru , then chop off  and draw the hook back. ....

The method showed on the video is called string-yank, as a medical procedure to extract hooks. I learnt about it on an American Angler or Fly Fisherman Magazine about 20 years ago ( I cannot remember which one but I received both subscriptions). The article was written by a fisho medical doctor. I do not know if he created the method or he only was teaching about it but the case was the explanations and pictures were so good that I learnt to apply the method without any problem. The doctor also told about several  self experiences in applying the method with multiple hookings, so bizarre ones,  that I think the procedure should work in a 99.99% of the cases. What in the video is not stressed enough is the importance of pushing the eye of the hook against the skin ... this is the key of the procedure, because it turns the hook to a position where the tip of the barb will travell back on the same path the hook made when entered, that is to say there won't be any minimal new trauma nor additional pain, only relief ... that is why I think the procedure should be work always ....
I've applied that method sucessfully, to other people, 6 times, the first five were on trout fly hooks (sizes 6-10 I guess), the last one was one a 2/0 or 3/0 hook that a lady got on her scalp (using a spoon in a place that was fly only   Angry) ... she was in shock, because the pain, while some cops tried unsuccesfully  to make the barb going thru the scalp Confused ... I started talking her while I tied the string to the bend of the hook, she was looking to the ground,  I pulled the string with a fast and strong  movement without warning her and she went on looking the ground and then I put my closed fist in front of her eyesand I asked if she was ready for the procedure when she said "yes"  I opened my fist  showing the spoon on my hand ... after several seconds she started laughing/crying/kissing me/hugging me/etc ....

I highly recommend to everybody trying to memorize the procedure, ... it is so valuable and rewarding when needed and you can help ...you have to be confident when using it the first time, it will work!. Finally, if it happens to yourself in one of your hands (let's say you forgot to smash the barb ...Wink) and you are alone... you can tie the end of the string to be pulled to a fixed part ( your car door, your belt buckle,  one foot, etc) and make the yank with  the hurt hand itself ..
Cheers,
Andres
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" Bob Lawless.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 8wt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 1:06am
8wt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

After burying a 4/0 SL12s about as deeply into my finger as possible I'm all for crushing the barbs too, all the hooks in my boxes are crushed. Was making long casts into the breakers from a Thai longtail boat in a strong cross wind and having to keep the line on my upwind side for fear of pinning the guide and boatman when I saw the crease fly coming back at me and whip my hand up in reflex. Didnt know this trick so using pliers we pushed the point on through the skin, crushed the barb and withdrew it, that pushing the point through, over the barb, wasn't at all pleasant.
 When I wrapped a bit of tissue and duct tape over it and got up to carry on casting the Danish guide smiled at the cringing boatman and said "f%$kin Kiwis".
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 4:55pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What were ya targeting 8Wt?
Gts?
Photos?
Smile
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 8wt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 1:59pm
8wt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah I was tergeting GTs but only hooked 3 small ones and lost them. Did have one very big GT hook up on a popper rod only to have a bull shark smack it and in two hits take the lot, including the popper and got 1 very small model to the boat. Also had a few wahoo hits out in blue water but they kept knifing through my steel traces and a few Mahi Mahi hits that didn't stick too though  caught both on game rods which the boatman kept persisting I try as the flies just werent doing it for him. I should have stuck to my guns but he was taking my lack of success personally.