Whitsundays/Great Barrier Reef

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whitsundays/Great Barrier Reef
    Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 12:06am
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey,
planning on going to Hamilton Island for a holiday mid/late September, can any recommend a charter boat either to day fish the GB reef or surrounding islands?
Probably looking more at GTs etc if possible than gamefishing

Has anyone fished around the Whitsundays before? thinking about taking some gear over with me.

Any help greatly appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 8:51pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

any one even been there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 9:14pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey mate,
I had the same dilemma a couple of months ago, was over in Airlie Beach for my brother-in-laws wedding, was trying to hook up a charter but never managed to get anything sorted so didn't get out.

I did find these guys who look pretty good:
I went in to one of the local tackle stores and had a yarn to the old dude who owned it, he recommended them as well. They seem to keep their facebook page updated with availability so maybe keep an eye on that.

Depends where your staying but theres apparently a fishing pontoon down at Shute Harbour that people apparently have caught GT's off, but I don't know any more details than that. But you'd need your own gear.

Like I say, I never got out fishing when I was there so thats all I can really tell ya. I didn't really look into doing any longer multi-day charters.

I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 9:24pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There's a couple of other forums you could join to get other info as well, 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 9:39pm
Bricky View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey, went to Hamilton island a couple of years ago, pretty awesome place. There was only one charter running out of the island when I was there, booked a day but unfortunately the weather turned and was cancelled. I went in April and they were mostly targeting Spanish macs. You'll have an awesome time there anyway, take the ferry across to the golf course on the next island over and take the tour, spectacular views and a really good service.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PukeFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 5:26pm
PukeFisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

have been to Hamilton islands awesome place, did hire a boat and some rods to try catch some edible fish managed few small reef fish and not much else
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 6:49pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers guys, I looked into seafever but they don't come out to Hamilton Island, after research and emails there seems to only be one charter worthwhile for serious fishing which is Renegade, I have a day booked with them, being a share charter though it is only if we all agree that we will go and fish the GB Reef as its still a fair haul out to it and decent fishing grounds inbetween from the sounds. Will report back.
Still deciding on what gear to take myself weather I just buy a light or heavy  travel rod or pay for the extra baggage and take my good gear with me, plenty of mixed reports as to what you can catch from the island itself or in one of the dinghys....