Serious spin fishing in Rangitaiki R

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serious spin fishing in Rangitaiki R
    Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 12:42pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some say, spin fishing is a kids' thing.

However, in some countries,  spin fishing is way more popular than fly  fishing, and highly sophisticated.

When recent style jigging was first introduced in NZ, some said, "I know jigging but livebaiting works better." but the jigging we were doing was a new style fishing , and with new style gears, the jigging we were doing has lot more potential than what they had been.

The situation looks very similar for me, cos new style spin fishing uses very thin braids, flourocarbon leaders and new style lures. The new style lure are generally called Minnow lures, so the method is called "Minnowing."

What I found in the last 3 years is, when Minnowing is good,  you can catch two to three times more, than with fly fishing gears, but fly fishing probably works more constantly regardless of conditions of the water. In other words, the number of fish you catch in total in a month is probably same.

The guys who I went out with this time are crazy about spin fishing. They are armed with Sims high end waders and jackets, use small stellas and high spec rods plus expensive braids. I'm sort of very serious with spin fishing these day too, so believe or not, my set up is daiwa certate reel, plus a newly imported rod from Japan, 'Smith Trout Spin boron composite' (roughly $700) plus Varivas Squid PE line.

For minnowing , big rivers are normally better, cos the biggest advantage over fly fishing is castability. You can target spots where you normally cannot with fly fishing gears. plus, those spots are sort of untouched spots so you might see some great fish from those spots.

On the day, to be honest  fishing was not easy, the water temperature dropped too sharply on the previous day, which is normally the worst thing for minnowing.

However, some trout were still very keen to bite on our lures.

Especially, like this spot, there is no back space to use fly rods, and the best spots are the other side of the river, so ideal for minnowing.

We saw many chases but, on the day, I couldn't finalise them well. That's a very typical reaction from them when water temperature drops. Another typical thing I saw on the day was brownies were more aggressive than rainbow when it's cold.

We probably caught around 15 fish, which is not high number, but was OK on such a clod day. At least we saw a lot of potential from Minnowing method.

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 3:22pm
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Certainly a very effective way to catch trout... it might be an idea to replace those treble hooks with singles though (assuming your releasing the fish of course) given the damage they can cause.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 3:55pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice to see guys, but i second Slabs comments.  

Not much good returning a fish to starve to death, if its mouth and face is munted from a treble hook.  You will also find that you will drop less fish, as hookups will be solid, and not pull out easily like trebles do. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 3:55pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice post.
I must admit I get a bit frustrated with retailers not replacing trebles prior to sale. My eye's, and hook and plier selection aren't the best so it become a hassle.
Thanks for sharing - great clarity in those photos! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 7:21pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Spinning is the way to go for sure, just as much effort can go into catching trout on spin gear as on fly, much more to it than throwing a zed spinner on snapper gear, a well matched spin setup will allow the trout to put up a much better performance than they would on fly gear too...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 9:45am
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys!

The thing was 99% of those lures come with triple hooks, and it's hard to find inline singles specially designed for those lures, but I already ordered them a week ago, and they are on the way from overseas.

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 6:49pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There is a fair variety of inline singles available for trout lures, I have decoy, gamakatsu and owner ones on my lures, a bit harder to get hold of good hooks and good lures over here in nz though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 8:51pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Excellent report thanks, must try it sometime ..are the minnows sub surface?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 9:08pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah, subsurface, I have got trout on surface lures too though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 9:22am
Fishjoe View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just saw the nice picture of minnows and found this post so late. 

Agreed, spinning fishing, or I prefer to call "lure fishing" has a way higher sophisticated level in other country than here. 

I personally believe there is no comparison between fly fishing and spin fishing. Different areas. 

However fly fishing is believed more friendly to the environment or to the fish. You may rarely see a fish hooked in it's throat or gill with fly hook. But this is quite common in spin fishing. Also a plastic lure lost in the river is a permanent pollution. 

That's why if you are a catch and release person please change into single hook with no bark. 

Lure fishing is at a totally different level in Japan than here. I don't see fly fishing can even compete in that country. They also do their own way of fly fishing. 

Its is a great fun, especially for what's been called "finesse fishing". Using ultralight comparatively moderate rod cast lure into the exact position of pools. It does require a lot of skills. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 9:28am
Fishjoe View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

By the way do you import "Smith" brand minnows? or that the most recent product - The "Bottom Knocking Swimmers?" 

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 11:26am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great post - always good to see something different.