Turkey and Peacock

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Standard Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkey and Peacock
    Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 10:42am
Standard Deluxe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey guys,

New to hunting but been curing meat for a long time.  Just after any suggestions for wild turkey and wild peacock recipes or cuts to remove.

Heading up north this weekend (Kaiwaka) with a couple of mates.  They reckon we'll get a few rabbits and hopefully hare too.  Goat and pig are there too apparently but we'll see.  Only have a 222...  As I say I'm not a hunter but the lads know what we can hit or not.

I was going to use some of the turkey breast to make pastrami, the rest for roasting same as the legs but I might also look at salami if I mix it with 50% pork and some nice cubed back fat (pork again).  Is it good smoked?  Everything is good smoked surely?!

Not sure about peacock, guessing its nice roasted whole like a chuck but might make awesome sausage.  Breast big enough to brine and air dry?

Going to make up some bacon and salted pork today as a mixer for sausages and salami. 

Same with the rabbit or hare?  Happy to portion them and make simple roast or casserole dinners but keen to try and debone them and grind them into salami or smoked air dried sausage (like chorizo).

Can I use the livers for anything?

Any tips would be appreciated :)

Cheers
Liam
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 5:27pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hare is rather strong .. rabbit is nice in a casserole....best to use 2 ....and expect lots of small bones.
Wild turkey.. dont shoot the old ones.. the white meat is tough as old boots and the dark meat even more so
Wild goat is nice.. espec if the equivalent to a hogget

Most game meat is very lean... if roasting sear thoroughly in a hot cast iron pan.. seal it....the roast hot and fast.. 220 deg C.
Helps if throw 3 or 4 of those cooking chocolate button things onto the meat when roasting... a couple in the gravy (home made off coarse)  and if casserole 3 or 4 in there to....it mellows the strong game taste without loosing loose wild flavours
Peacock...I would assume and would treat that like turkey  rather than something like wild goose.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 6:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The wild turkeys I have eaten have been really nice. I think Steps is right though, the younger ones likely to be best.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:57pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just happens a mate is delivering some wild turkey bits tomorrow.
i was going to hammer out,stuff and bacon wrap, did that with some swann and she came out mint.
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Standard Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 6:12pm
Silver
Silver

Wicked thanks Steps! 
I've tried wild turkey before too and it was lovely, just out the pot though so no idea if it was young or not.  I'll make sure to leave the ones with walking frames to keep breeding!
Hadn't thought of swan meat - not much chance this weekend but I'll keep that in mind.
I'll post some photos of the haul and any recipes.
I packed the iron pans too, thanks for that!

Off topic but I just unwrapped a lump of air dried venison thats been left too long and turned to concrete.  So I grated it like dried bonito flakes that you get on japanese food and its freaking amazing!  Going to try it as a seasoning or 50-50 with breadcrumbs on some schnitzel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 8:21pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can vouch for the wild turkey S.D..
First time for me cooking it and came out nomnomnom.
Lovely breasts stuffed with a sage n onion stuffing wrapped bacon to hold it all in .
seared in the pan and into a hot oven..
passed the kids critique as well!
Good luck with the hunting and gathering

"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Standard Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 12:16pm
Silver
Silver

Godamn that looks good!
Tme for some lunch!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 7:17pm
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

peacock sausage roll

peacock sweet and sour

wild turkeys yum too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Standard Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 11:41am
Silver
Silver

Quick update on the trip...
Had a cracking weekend and walked a fair few km.  A bit naive on how easy it was going to be - I didn't expect them to run or for us to have to be so close to shoot them haha...
Better on the second day when I was a little more on my toes and I even scored my first head shot!
No peacock, they were way to wary after the neighbours giving them a good thrashing the day before.
Scored a swag of turkey taking breast and legs off.  I was a little wary of the liver but will get this next time.  First breast was a bit cut up but after that I wasn't too bad at cutting them out.  Seemingly I shot a fair few in the leg so think I need to get down the shooting range and get some practice in but the guys reckon I did ok for my first time out.
The paradise ducks were a bit harder but we got a good score of them and took the breast meat along with a few legs but they were pretty skinny.  A little more pushed for time on them but next time I'll take a few whole ducks and see how much meat I can pull off them.
Got home late on Sunday and processed all the duck meat into salami along with two different batches of turkey breast salami.  I'll debone the turkey leg and do the same with them tonight.  Decided we'd make the lot into sausages this time and air dry them all for a month.  I'll post photos and recipes later in the week.
No rabbits at all, didnt see a one.  Bit water logged in places so guess that keeps them away...  
I used a .22 for the most part but had a pop with the shotgun which was fun :)
Also had a go with a 222 which was awesome!  Didn't leave a lot of meat though...

Sausage rolls look good Tugboat!  Lunchtime too...

L.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 11:56am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was going to say the 222 was a spot of over kill. Fantastic calibre for distance - shoot flat as.
A 22 or 22Mag would be the go for most of what you were to come across. Silencer is a bonus too!
Now I have never eaten Peacock- its very popular overseas so must be good- peacock sausage sounds yum
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 5:15pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Simple way to bol a turkey.. the tend roost over night on fence railings, often around old wool sheds and such...
Couple guys and a couple good puriri fence battens...quietly walk up.. they sleep pretty sound, make a noise, the head/ neck goes up , swing of the batten , turkey falls over.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Standard Deluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 7:59am
Silver
Silver

Tasted the salami last night over a few cold beer thanks to Liberty Brewing.  Turkey salami is the bomb!  Really nice consistency and firm!  The boys were very happy and looking to book in another days shooting now :)
I'll see how I can add the photos and post them along with the recipes.
Love the 3x2 turkey hunt Steps, will try that on the 22nd!

Now to get some work done to pay for more salami making gear and a gun (or two).

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:10am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Love the 3x2 turkey hunt
old Fence batten