Who has a bilge alarm?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who has a bilge alarm?
    Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:22pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How many people have an alarm on their primary bilge pump?

I am redoing my bilge set up.  I'm using BEP bilge panels, which have a separate positive connection for the alarm light (usually connected to the float switch output). 

I'm using a rule auto pump as my primary pump, so nothing to use as an output.

Does this matter?  Do I really need to know when the primary bilge is running?

The secondary bilge will have an alarm connected to a float switch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:28pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A common setup is to have a 2nd float switch trigger a high water alarm. Normal water slosh is dealt with via the bilge pump with no alarm, but you get an alarm if the bilge pump can't control the flow. If your secondary bilge pump gives you the same alarm functionality then I think you are fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:35pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Plan is to run a wire from the pump side of the float switch for the secondary pump to the alarm on the secondary bilge panel.  If the float switch is triggered the alarm sounds.   If it stays on the secondary pump isn't doing it's job (or the float switch is stuck) and inspection is required.

Looks like the primary alarm will be redundant - unless I get a 2nd float switch ...

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

A common setup is to have a 2nd float switch trigger a high water alarm. Normal water slosh is dealt with via the bilge pump with no alarm, but you get an alarm if the bilge pump can't control the flow. If your secondary bilge pump gives you the same alarm functionality then I think you are fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:46pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MikeAqua MikeAqua wrote:

Plan is to run a wire from the pump side of the float switch for the secondary pump to the alarm on the secondary bilge panel.  If the float switch is triggered the alarm sounds.   If it stays on the secondary pump isn't doing it's job (or the float switch is stuck) and inspection is required.

Looks like the primary alarm will be redundant - unless I get a 2nd float switch ...

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

get a pump with in built float switch,do not recommend separate float switchthat is wired in wiring before pump,had 2 fail,now i have a tmc pump,big thing is why water is coming in,(solved my problem)thinking of getting a bilge alarm that hooks to phone/cell phone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:47pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Read around and you will find as many people complaining about inbuilt float switches as separate ones.   My float switch is 10 years old and no problems - also hooked up to a TMC pump.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 4:55am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was using rule pumps due to price and found plastic impeller breaking down.3 pumps in 6 months 2 sea?float switches.tmc No problem un last 7 month's
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:59am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It seems like bilge pumping equipment is generally becoming less reliable - as previously reputable manufacturers struggle to compete with cheap low quality products.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 3:42pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have 3 electric bilge pumps in my 30' boat. They are all Rule.
  • The grey water tank pump has been there 10 years and still works really well, even if left running dry many times for a few hours on a long haul trip.
Two bilge pumps; 
  • one up forward has an incorporated float switch plus an automatic float switch, which is left on when moored. never ever has been used  for designed purpose in 10 years. This pump has an BEP alarm, which I am not sure if it works or not - I do not really want to hear it.
  • The other is a manual operated pump right aft to pump the bilge when the boat is on the plane. Works really well, requires skippers input, when he remembers.
I have also a Whale Gusher hand pump for use in a real mans emergency and that is backed up with buckets......Thank god I have never used them ever!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 7:56am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have all of my high water alarms running off a separate 12v rule float switch and placed higher than the other bilge and float switch in each bilge- as per Tagits post above

The high water alarms then go to a light board with a 12v buzzer. Works a treat and lets you immediately know which area needs urgent attention.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:30am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I only have one compartment, so probably just need the one alarm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:54am
rustler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have 5 pumps all wired to provide a warning buzzer when they come on also have 3 high water alarms, if there is a problem the sooner you are alerted the better, dont take short cuts, you may regret it!
'Politically Correct' a misguided bunch of morons who think they can pick up a piece of **** by the clean end.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:38pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rustler: How have you wired your pumps to your warning signals?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 4:09pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you want a single buzzer, just put a diode in the feed from each float switch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 6:22pm
rustler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had a marine electrician do the work  I have a panel on my main switchboard with 5 switches and lights with a warning buzzer I can manually operate all pumps if required and mute them. If any pump comes on the buzzer goes and light comes on so I know which one, I have also the high water alarms that will come on separately so if any system fails i.e. pump dosn't come on, I have a back up warning system.
'Politically Correct' a misguided bunch of morons who think they can pick up a piece of **** by the clean end.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 12:04pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have found a solution following a suggestion on another site.

If my bilge pump is switched to auto (ie powered through the auto lead), when it runs the manual lead is also live.

So the solution is to run a lead from the manual terminal on the switch to the positive warning lead.  If I run the pump manually the warning comes on.  If it runs on auto the warning comes on.

My pump is rule-mate 500 GPH

On a BEP bilge panel there are two red leads to the warning light/buzzer.  The thinner lead is the buzzer and the thicker lead is the light.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TonyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 8:04pm
TonyR View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Im a Kiwi in Oz. My boat, a yacht had its bilge pump fail a number of times (I thought) and each time caused loss of batteries (due to total discharge) and a sodden mess to clean up.

It was so annoying that since I'm in the business I designed a bilge pump alarm that could send me an SMS if water level got high in bilge.

It worked and I discovered that the bilge pump(s) weren't faulty as such, the electronic sensor on them got covered in slime and once wet stayed wet causing the pump to stay on all the time and flatten the batteries, then the water level would rise and ruin everything else!

The bilge alarm grew into a boat alarm because many of my mates wanted one. Its here: www.trektransponder.com.au. Selected boaties (such as NZ can have one half price). Im trying to sell some now since I took 3 months off work to design it and wife is not happy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 9:42am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's a clever unit Tony.  What is a unit with bilge and 2 x battery monitoring worth?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TonyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 3:00pm
TonyR View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've got 4 "beta" "standard" units left from the design stage one of which which would cover that and I'm selling those for $300 ea. to anyone who don't mind having a used unit (for testing etc) . Its helps get the word out as well as not waste them. But the list price on Ebay is $990 for a new one.
They have 1 x Solar volts input, 2 x battery input, 1 x float sw input, 1 x PIR input (burglar detector!), 1 x shore power input and 1 x fridge input.
Theres two in Vanuatu which work OK, so should work in NZ.