Spin Reel Ideas for slow pitch jigging

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spin Reel Ideas for slow pitch jigging
    Posted: 16 May 2015 at 7:44pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looking at ideas for a Spin reel for slow pitch jigging, I was thinking something in the 4-5000 range for Shimano Sizing or 3000 for daiwa. Thinking the larger for a bit of extra capacity and also the larger spool giving a faster retrieve. 

Is anyone else using spin setups for this purpose and what are you using? I was looking at the Diawa Excelsor 3000 or maybe if I can stretch it would really like the Sol 2. But interesting to hear what other people are using and your views on what to look for/avoid. 

TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 7:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have heard Shimano have the new Twinpower coming out soon maybe taking out the Sustain. Dunno $ but may be worth a look I reckon, last models were $400ish. I still use the old 2500FB great little reel for softies and microjigs. Sol is a nice reel to but I do not like that orange. LOL 

If you want a light reel can't go past a C14 Stradic either.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 9:52pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Go the high speed reel Jono, 3012H diawa or a 4000 size Shimano. It does make a big differenceWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 8:00am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would be looking at a daiwa luvias 3012H, around $300 delivered from Japan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimaikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 8:47am
kaimaikid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have the sustain in 5000 and the stradic ci4 plus in 4000 if you want to have a look and try some time...

both very nice reels
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 8:56am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

It'd be hard to get a better spin reel for slow pitch jigging than a Stella 2500.

Watching the lure action in water really is an eye opener , eg the last three days at the boat show showing various action effects on lures in the 1600L jig tank has been fascinating and given an even better insight into what is happening to jigs down in the depths. The rod lift (speed, height) and how the jig is both lifted and properly freefalled makes such a difference to the jig action and effectiveness. Very cool to eyeball up close. Capacity of a 2500 reel is nearly 300m of braid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 9:12am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

$900 new though aren't they Espresso? Maybe second hand ones $400-500 if you get lucky on here or Trade Me.

Would love one myself too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimaikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 9:25am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 9:37am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've got a shimano rarenium for sale,$250 as new spooled with Berkley fluoro sinking braid
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boxee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 10:09am
Boxee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Caldia SHA? Got the 2500 and it's mint, although I'm currently using the older 4.9:1 Cladia 4000 as my light spin jig. 

http://www.motackle.com.au/daiwa-caldia-sha.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 11:07am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I picked up second hand Stella 2500 FB on jigwrex 160g rod ( not well matched combo imo ) for $450
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 12:34pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 12:51pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by DenimViper DenimViper wrote:

I picked up second hand Stella 2500 FB on jigwrex 160g rod ( not well matched combo imo ) for $450

You got lucky LOL You wouldn't get an FI model for that.

New Twinny will be interesting can't wait to see one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 2:18pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys, some good options there. Do people find the reel needs to be High gear or is it just an advantage? 

Also what weight line do people use? When softbaiting I use 4-8lb, but I have read a few columns of people recommending 20lb
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 3:30pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Slow pitch jigging I would go 15lb at least. Its not the same as micro jigging where being very light is key.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 12:02pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Slow pitch jigging I would go 15lb at least. Its not the same as micro jigging where being very light is key.

x2 slow pitch jigs can be up to 300+g so 15lb -30lb is better than light braid(i have one reel with 20lb Tasline and another with 30lb) and yes speed is very important Jono, faster the better
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Starnsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 1:17pm
Starnsy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Retrieve needs to be 75cm+ at whatever depth you are fishing...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 9:58am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Espresso, anyone take any vid of the jigging tank that you know of?
I didn't get to the show but would like to access that info.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 10:51am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Garry 23041 - not that I know of, however a good point, so I will get it done! What I have learned watching jigs actually freefall in saltwater has been highly educational, seeing some things I hadn't expected, and noticing different jig actions...I have been using that tank (1600L), and my own little 400L tank to watch how different jig shapes fall, and what influences that action (good or bad), influence of hook(s), the fascinating light reflections, what was amazing was how far a jig will travel in water with various rod and/or reel movements. It really has made me think a lot more about how to lure fish into biting. Quite a thrill really.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 11:15am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting Espresso.
I am fine with my speed jigging, I have been doing it so long and refining via feel and hookups am happy with what I do (can always improve though).
I just got a few slow pitch jigs while up in Japan and have a rod that will work and a nice saragosa for it.
I have watched a few guys doing slow pitch and I softbait constantly so I will pick it up but would be intersted in seeing the variations at the jig end.