Boat Insurance

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lone Star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:31am
Lone Star View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Contract Contract wrote:

I read Lone Star's report as follows
1)   CLUB MARINE cheapest. He went with them
2)   He found himself in need of claiming on his policy. CLUB MARINE "found" an out clause (one which a normal boatie would not even consider a possibility) & he was left up the creek by them.
3)   He was recompensed, not by HIS insurance, but by the applicator / supplier's insurance.

Can't see this as being a tick for CLUB MARINE ........ or for accepting the cheapest quote (for anything !)

Contract, you got it smack on.  I would never have dreamed that they could use that out clause, but they did.  you think if you pay full insurance and someone performs work on your boat and writes off the boat and trailer you would be covered, but not in this case.  Luckily the other parties insurance came to the party and they were actually very good to deal with and turned it all around within 2 weeks.

certainly something to be aware of though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 11:13am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

personally i am not sure if that would put me off club marine. like any kind of insurance policy, if there is a party more liable to pay the damages they will decline the claim and the other party steps up to bat. there was clearly  someone at fault in this case and they are liable for the damages. 

i had a recent acc claim and since it was work related i was obligated to go two dhb's away for treatment. i decided since i have pretty flash private insurance i would just use that and go somewhere closer. they couldn't touch it because it was an acc claim.

in lone stars case i wonder if they would have stepped up if he had tried and gotten no joy from the other party, then i would be pretty gutted. and i wonder if any other insurer would have had a different outcome.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 11:36am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a similar claim a few years ago, not being repaired but someone transporting my boat damaged it.  My insurance company paid the claim and got my boat repaired, then they chased the other insurance company to recover their loss.  That's how insurance works, so the fact they said they wouldn't pay the claim means just that.  If the insurance company for the people who did the work hadn't paid up Lone Star would have been out of pocket.  Am I the only one who has read their insurance documents this morning to check there isn't a similar clause in there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Contract Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 11:37am
Contract View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Only way I could see would be to get them to sign a declaration that they have full and comprehensive insurance to cover any damage that they could possibly cause. You should really sight the policy. I know I had to when I kept a launch at the OBC. Imagine the damage a "runaway boat" could cause in a marina ! Also ~ fire !
If any tradesman is doing a job, they should be asked the same question
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:11pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Contract Contract wrote:

I read Lone Star's report as follows
1)   CLUB MARINE cheapest. He went with them
2)   He found himself in need of claiming on his policy. CLUB MARINE "found" an out clause (one which a normal boatie would not even consider a possibility) & he was left up the creek by them.
3)   He was recompensed, not by HIS insurance, but by the applicator / supplier's insurance.

Can't see this as being a tick for CLUB MARINE ........ or for accepting the cheapest quote (for anything !)

I doubt any insurance company would pay out in that circumstance. The material cause was the applicator supplier and that is the person to go after.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lone Star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:06am
Lone Star View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[/QUOTE]
I doubt any insurance company would pay out in that circumstance. The material cause was the applicator supplier and that is the person to go after. [/QUOTE]

The advice I got from my insurance broker and subsequently the loss adjuster is that you have to go through your own insurance company in the first instance.  They undertake the assessment of damages, and if they can cover the loss within their policy they will do so then seek costs from the other parties insurance.  In this case the clause within the policy prevented them from doing so.

The other insurance company was involved throughout the process and when the vessel was first inspected the loss adjuster for Club Marine and the other parties loss adjuster both turned up.  The report that was provided of the incident was then passed on to the other insurer when I served them with the letter holding the applicator liable for all costs and damages.  As a result of this report being prepared, the processing of the claim went through very quickly and smoothly. 

Plenty of learning curves, but thankfully in the end I came out of it very luckily and I can now move on. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seascape Wellington ( Surtees 4.7) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:37pm
Seascape Wellington ( Surtees 4.7) View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

we have also signed up with Baileys - great old school personal service and the even gave us some pretty cool custom embroided beanies ...

Page  <12