Whaling?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whaling?
    Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:43pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

would you condemn these guys for how they catch their food?
should they still be allowed to fish like this?
is this so barbaric? 
should we westerners even impose our thoughts on the uncivilized world at all?

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 6:18pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well I personally think it is fine,1 whale to feed the village and using semi traditional skills.
Man v beast,i am sure they do not succeed on every outing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 7:02pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like hard risky work though a lot of food in one whale.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 9:35pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go onto BBC web site and watch there reporter who goes out with them.Note his reaction on the way back in after killing one .BBC then click on magazine at top of home page and scroll down to whale  .Worth the watch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JAKE D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 1:34am
JAKE D View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have always held the opinion that whaling should be allowed to some extent. If it's sustainable and there is a healthy population eg minkes, they why shouldn't it be managed like any other fishery? We need to stop only caring about animals that are cute or beautiful. I once had someone call me a monster because of my opinion then she proceeded to munch a tin of tuna for lunch? You tell me which species is having a harder time. If there were strict enforceable, international quotas, then go for it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 5:14am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will be a very long time before most species of whales reach a healthy population. I don't have issues with hunting like that for food. But I do take issue with industrial scale hunting for scientific reasons! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 1:34pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i find as these people become civilized they tend to demand the right to kill whales, not just to feed their families but for a profit,
the likes of Eskimos who are killing more than is needed because it is easy now with their motorized boats,
Japaneses, Norwegians, who dont need this food for sustainability but class it as their birth right or part of their culture,   
where do you draw the line???  
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 1:59pm
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Watched this last night on the BBC.  Whales, Manta Rays and a Pilot whale were the main catches. The Manta rays are sold for a profit but not the whales, they are used to supply the 2000 island residents with their main source of protein.  The meat is traded for veges, fruit etc and no money changes hands over it. They also stop the engines 100m or so from the whales and paddle the remaining distance to honour tradition.

The program certainly got me thinking.  These people have been hunting whales for all their history then comes along the west and almost wipes the whales out in less then a century. We then say that whale hunting is wrong and those traditional whale hunters shouldn't do it either?  I personally think that's hypocritical and even support their use of outboards since this just makes up for the lack of whale numbers.

The whale populations will continue to grow despite a few traditional cultures still hunting them.  Its modern "scientific" factory ships etc that kill whales for profit that continue to be the problem.