First time Ngongi

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tmmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:15pm
tmmo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have fished the Ngongi a fair bit, and although now based in Auckland I was lucky enough to have a few uni placements in Rotorua meaning I could fish multiple times each week.

As others have said the public access areas are very much hit and miss. I have had some great days on those public access points, I have seen many fish above 8lb come out of those areas, and have twice been with a fishing mate who has maxed out his weigh net. All of the hogs that get into the private areas upstream go through that public access too, you just have to be there at the right time, and find one that is prepared to eat.

Then there are other days where it just sucks. You can't find a half decent fish to save yourself.

Like any river it does change, and where the fish are holding seems to change. Surprisingly enough the best "luck" I had was when I was based there for 3 months, rather than driving down from Auckland on the occasional weekend when Im not working and the weather looks reasonable. 

I guess its like any river- the Tongariro and TT do not produce on every trip- but at least on those rivers when they don't produce they are pretty to look at, the Ngongotaha is really just a ditch which runs through what is far from the most scenic town in NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NGOBROWNSLAYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 5:22pm
NGOBROWNSLAYER View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I fish Mainly the mouth of the Ngongi site fishing Browns off there,and fished the river past the main bridge into paradise valley for the first time over the summer.I also cant believe the amount of rubbish buildup I seen up there and cant understand how it gets like that because all that surrounds the river up there is farmlands,you can kinda expect it past the township but further up isn't acceptable.maybe some fishos on this forum need to extend there skill level and fish around the mouths,complaining about snags is part of the challenge in the river.i can tell you I do a lot better fishing the River than the mouths even though on a good day off the mouths you can spot groups of browns upto a dozen fish in a group and plenty in pairs and 3-6 groups.But I do think Fish and game need to sort there **** out with the rubbish though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 10:23pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all....
I am new to the Ngongy area but I now find myself living in Paradise Valley Rd only metres from the pool you all talk about.
Over the last couple
Of weeks I have nailed many trout and been smashed by one particularly large Brown.
Anyway.... If anyone wants to hook up before the stream closes at the end of the month I'm keen as
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 11:26am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is it F and G or is it the local Council responsible for cleaning up rubbish? What about the local PD why not them while they serve their sentence get them doing something useful buy again they could see fish they later poach!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 10:23pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went for a quick fish at ngongi Saturday. Got a couple of good rainbows in the morning and a nice brown in the evening down river near the reserves. Suprised nobody was fishing this area and seldom did I see footprints near the pools. I was also a bit impressed that isnt much rubbish in there compared to before opening day this year and not much weed in the edges and grass is well maintained. Almost got the feeling I was fishing in a park.

Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote irwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 4:40pm
irwoody View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great looking fish there...well done!
I would be keen to tag along if anyone doesn't mind a novice fly fisherman following them around to learn the ropes :-)
I have all the gear and super keen but haven't done much river fishing before and don't know the techniques and what to use?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Even if I don't fish but walk behind someone to learn the ropes...

Thanks a lot
Woody!
Page  <12