Game Reel Servicing Hamilton

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Game Reel Servicing Hamilton
    Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 12:13pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone know of anyone or any places in Hamilton I can get this done.
Have a Tiagra 50w which is about 20years old now and never been serviced LOL nothing wrong with it.... I just think its bout time it got some love!!!!

How easy are these things to pull apart and put back together again? What do you usually do for a general service. Might be a stupid question for a lot of guys on here but Im not very mechanicaly minded hahaEmbarrassed but I don't like paying someone to do something if I can do it myself Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 3:16pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Mate, they're not difficult at all. I have a 25 year old International whose insides have never seen the light of day and it's had a hard life too, doesn't miss a beat.

Anyhoo, send me a PM and we can hookup and I'll show you how to do it and what to look for. They're not complicated. once you've done one you've done them all. The trickiest bit is sometimes a screw will break and that can be a PIA but still fixable.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 4:52pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whitigroper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 8:13pm
whitigroper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you take it to Fullon fishing he has a guy who services reels had all 5 of my 80s done there last year and they came back very well lubed and let me what to look out for
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 8:21pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don't tell me Gowest the same wools on it ! lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 10:56pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smarts uses the same guy as full on and the rest of hamilton I'm pretty sure😉
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 11:06pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Swordfishsteve hes ya man
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 7:42am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool thanks guys a few options there.
Yeah had the reel in the tropics catching Spanish mackerel, wahoo, barracudas etc but caught its first couple Marlin this season which gave it a good work out. Thought to myself its probably due for a service!!! Still running mint though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 7:50am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey Chad
Sounds like your Tiagra well overdue for a service, 20 years is a long time to be left without love, you can do this yourself if mechanically minded, nothing high tech inside a Tiagra, I think you will find some seized frame screws and possibly bearings rough, anyhow follow Alantanis tutorial for strip down.
If you have seized frame cover screws then best to send it to Me or Jeff Murray or similar reels repair guys who will do a professional job of removing screws and lubricating  correctly all parts.
cheers swordfishsteveSmile
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 5:30pm
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey Chad
Another thing to look for is the old Bronze clicker plunger holder cracks and falls apart on older Tiagras, so will need to upgraded to new Stainless model which never breaks, also drag cover has a habit of coming loose unless tightened correctly with spanner, so make sure this is TIGHT when assembling, just a couple of notes for the inexperienced, cheers swordfishsteve
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bite Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 7:54am
Bite Time View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Agree with SFS.. Make sure that the drag cover is tightened... If not, when you hook a good fish, it will unwind and jam the reel... From experience...a very good Blue lost. A very unhappy ending... It just doesn't compute when the angler is screaming "the reel won't wind!!"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:20pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All noted thanks Steve. By the sounds of that and looking at that link I don't think I will be doing it myself now LOL 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 10:09am
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ihave these two old Tattler reels that i wish to strip and restore. However I'm at a loss as to the best way to restore the Bakerlite cases.
Is there someone in the BOP that I can meet and get restoration advice from please?
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 11:21am
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fletch Fletch wrote:

nah bo. they use me.
I'll act my age when im 69
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 11:24am
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by swordfishsteve swordfishsteve wrote:

Hey Chad
Another thing to look for is the old Bronze clicker plunger holder cracks and falls apart on older Tiagras, so will need to upgraded to new Stainless model which never breaks, also drag cover has a habit of coming loose unless tightened correctly with spanner, so make sure this is TIGHT when assembling, just a couple of notes for the inexperienced, cheers swordfishsteve

Both points are true. Also the drag clicker plate should be put back together with loctite 401 (minimum Or loctite 272 (recommended) Most times we see these come loose are due to Inox warriros, bad servicing or no loctite re applied to the screws 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 11:26am
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

New model Tiagras will have a updated spool that the drag cover plate is screws down by 6 loctited screws  older models have the wind on cover which can be a pain in the arse to get off if they haven't been serviced in years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 12:36pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Nomis Nomis wrote:

nah bo. they use me.

Full on or smarts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 5:26pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Nomis Nomis wrote:

nah bo. they use me.

Full on or smarts?

Or neither?