Advice please - outboard

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice please - outboard
    Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:08pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I currentley have a honda 45hp outboard, when I had it sercviced last the oil was a milky color (water in it) possible blown and cracked head, the guy that serviced it thought he had fixed it however when I checked the oil today after about 20hours running since serviced it was Milky again!!!

Im pretty much resigned to the fact that I need a new motor since what my current motor is worth vs how much to fix, it is not worth it. My boat is a sea nymph 13.6 which I love to bits so what to re power im thinking I want to spend around $6000.00

I would prefer a good used motor vs a cheap new one and thinking I could go up to 60hp

So what do you guys suggest I am not worried weather its 2 or 4 stroke......GO!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:19pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In the first instance I would contact Murray on 0274303871. A bad head is not necessarily the kiss of death and the fix could be a fraction of the cost of a new engine. Those models of Honda are awesome little engines and can run for many years if looked after. Murray is a Honda expert who works from home and can properly advise you on what might be going on and your options. If you call Murray just tell him that Dave from Dreamboats suggested you contact him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:24pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Dave,

Thats who serviced it last time he did a great job he told me to try it before we took the next step doing the head etc, the cost to fix it is around $1800 the and the motor is worth around $3500, i am still in 2 minds about what to do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:38pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Murray is usually pretty good so you probably have decent advice. New head is probably around $1200 - $1400 even if you import it from offshore so the $1800 figure seems pretty good. I can tell you where to find a used BF50A head that might fit your engine. I don't think there is any major differences but you would need to check. That one would be around $400 delivered so probably half the total cost of repair if it is compatible. 
We have some 50hp versions of that engine and they are heading for 3000hrs now from memory. Great little engines so I wouldn't hesitate to repair it if it is the right fit for your boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:44pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Power head with 5hp more is 10% increase pretty good if it fits.  700LTR I'd be tempted by that - how many hours has your motor done - anywhere near 3000 or so? 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:44pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just did a quick check and there are multiple used heads available between $400 and $650. One will almost certainly be compatible. What year is your engine?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:48pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

the head for $400 sounds good, ill pm you my number see if we can work somthing out, the motor fits the boat pefectley doesnt use any fuel and is quiet as a mouse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 8:35pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I think? its a 1995 but couldnt be sure, compressions all within 1psi of each other mechanically the motor is sweet just leaking water from somewhere, if I could get a bigger powerhead that fits that would be preferable   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 8:38pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

my motor has done about 700 hours
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:01pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

those are fantastic motors. take tagits advice and see what can be done.