PLC Training ??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PLC Training ??
    Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 7:48am
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Programable Logic Controllers
Thought there may be a few in the know on here,
I am looking at doing a course or two and obtaining a book or any relevant material .

New Ship arriving next year and will be full of them so want to prepared as much as possible.
So any info with systems relative to Heavy Industrilal , Specifically Marine would be much appreciated.

I do have a basic knowledge , covered them briefly in a practical Marine Electrical course i did about 10 years ago , lets say I need rebooting.
thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 7:59am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Goo luck with it Corokid there is heaps of stuff online just a matter of finding it.
Can you find out what manufacturer/country of original of new ship and give yourself a head start?  I find that Chinese, German. Japanese all use a different approach and favour certain families of controllers - translation/quality of manuals can be patchy with Chinese/Asian manufacturers too.  if you are familiar with reading some of their manuals this is helpful.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 9:11am
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Macskipper ,
Probably best I don't disclose any details about ship on here , confidentiality and all that.

Yes I have looked online , several options , call me lazy , just thought others may have been though the process and give feedback.
I am going to contact shipyard via my manager to find out type used to be more specific. Pretty much have support from my employer so want to spend wiselyWink
In the meantime Mr Google should be able to give me a basic platform to build on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 9:31am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like you are on right track Corokid - I was training in Germany some years ago and they were talking about a control system I was not very familiar with, spent some time with Mr Google searching several phrases and was able to ask useful questions next day - made a good impression.  Made it appear I had a brain between the ears.
To quote someone (not sure who now) "is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"  Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 12:29pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If your organisation has shore based teams, might be a good idea to follow up with them as they can be a good source of knowledge for similar products. Especially if they have had experinces with the introduction of new technology/upgrades from the same provider etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 3:07pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by NZTurtle NZTurtle wrote:

If your organisation has shore based teams, might be a good idea to follow up with them as they can be a good source of knowledge for similar products. Especially if they have had experinces with the introduction of new technology/upgrades from the same provider etc.

Ahhh Good idea NZ Turtle , "Fish you feet first"

Sort of a little isolated from major infrastructure at sea , but a good option. 
Some sort of referance material  to make a start on the basics for now .

At the course I did about 10 years agoConfusedworked with Allen Bradley and Toshiba programming a very basic function utilising a model crane picking stuff up and putting it down again, clever ayeLOL Reasonably sure it wont be any of those brands , waiting for to hear back on that one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 9:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

While a general overview is a good thing to have behind you you'll really need specific training on the type you will be using. My PLC knowledge is so out of date now, I think the PLC's I used were from an era before electricity was discovered.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Booby Trap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 9:27pm
Booby Trap View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My company programs PLCs for automation control in all industries.

It would pay to determin the brand and models used.

European is prodominatly Seimens and USA Rockwell (AB) but other branbs like Omron and Schneider used as well.

Each brand of PLC will use different HMI (operator screen) and network for communication.

There are tutorials on configuring but you will require the programing software.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 2:48pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Anne Maree Anne Maree wrote:

My company programs PLCs for automation control in all industries.

It would pay to determin the brand and models used.

European is prodominatly Seimens and USA Rockwell (AB) but other branbs like Omron and Schneider used as well.

Each brand of PLC will use different HMI (operator screen) and network for communication.

There are tutorials on configuring but you will require the programing software.

I have to agree with Anne Maree, all PLC's are basically the same, but different! You should find out the make, model and possibly supplier, if you can. Most modern ones have a supplier in NZ, they have specific courses for the model and type of PLC that they support, the courses are not cheap, so if you know what what type and model, you can tailor your training, saving you money, and making it so you get more bang for your buck!Big smile
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.