Washing your Clears

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Washing your Clears
    Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 6:58pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I live semi rural and my newish clears accumulate road film dust from new roading works nearby.Angry
I normally use a soft car wash broom and carwash detergent.
Does anyone have better ideas pleaseQuestionGeek
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 8:13pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I had a new canopy and clears made up last year my upholsterer told me not to use detergent as over time makes clears go yellow which happened to old ones.
He recommended rinsing with water and not using a brush as scratches them and using a special cleaner every few months.  Though cleaner used depends on material clears made from.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 10:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yep it seems there's so many different answers.
Prolli hose off, using a chamois is safest bet I guess.

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 8:49am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like mac when we got the new bimmini/ clears.. the upholster said emphatically dont use dish wash or strong detergents, soap and water rinse off well and wipe dry.
So did further investigation....CRC and megures make a acrylic polish, both excellent cleaner polishers... basically  wash/rinse off with water , wipe dry and finish with the polish.
I have found after 2 or 3 polishes, simply a wash off and wipe dry with clean cloth works excellent... same goes for the acrylic windsheild and windows on the boat.

Car polishes are 'systems' ie use the right detergent/ polish and get a low maintenance shine... use the wrong detergent or soap and strips the polish  (and any protective film) off
There is some serious chemistry in modern polish systems over the last 30/ 40 yrs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 5:20pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks steps, I've also just fitted a new moulded windscreen and I'm anal about my maintenance lol

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount