Best Budget Boat Combo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catzpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Budget Boat Combo
    Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 3:03pm
Catzpa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi
I'm looking to buy my first boat combo. Nothing flash due to budget and most of my fishing is land based anyway. Just the odd charter.

I've found two nice looking deals:

Penn GT 320 Start Drag Reel - $100
Okuma Classic 300L and 6-10kg Sensor Tip Snapper Combo - $90

Which should I go for?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smilesnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 3:20pm
smilesnz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Catzpa, I have the Okuma Classic and I'm very happy with it and for the brice you can't beat it. I was warned off the Pan by a mate who had a few bad experiences with them. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smilesnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 3:20pm
smilesnz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Woops. Penn sorry NOT pan!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 3:33pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Penn GT-320 is a good option. Likewise Shimano TR-200G for around the same money
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 4:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have not used the Okuma set but ti have used several Penn 320 GTi's and Shimano TR 200G's. Both excellent value for money and certainly well suited to charter/bait fishing from a boat.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catzpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 11:45am
Catzpa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks everyone.

I noticed FCO have a closing down sale so I might pop in there later to see what's on offer.

Leaning towards the Penn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:12pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Catzpa, I have a Penn 320 and hate it. Its heavy, bulky and a relic of the past. For not too much more money you can get yourself into a decent slimline reel with loads more drag and something with more feel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:20pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When we got our first boat a few years ago we bought some of the Okuma sets. Never had any problems with them, still have them and use them as "guest" sets on the boat now. Great value, I think they might even have been a little more expensive back then at $99.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:25pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just remembered, I've got a brand new Okuma 300 combo here that I won in a fishing comp and never used. Brand new, with line and ready to go. If you're anywhere near South Auckland yours for $50.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote S-Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 8:47pm
S-Ray View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ive got the Shimano Tr-100 eclipse combo, its $99, and its really great, use it all the time, nice and light, good actioned rod, easy to use with the level wind. 10 year warranty on the reel, can beat it for the $
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmm... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 7:22pm
mmmm... View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

my gt pen didn't last long. rubbish. cheap shimano stuff if probably best value,
if you can get a tld15 or 25 it will be all you ever need for snapper fishing.

buying usless exspensive fishing gear is my second favourite hobby.