Soft Baiting Out West

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft Baiting Out West
    Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 7:36pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any one had any success out west?

It's never been that successful for me out west, always caught a few but never really slayed them.
I used to put it down to dirtier water, lack of structure / weed and that the snaps just didn't seem to have the predatory habits of the eastern fish.

May be my balls just weren't big enough, those west coast rogue waves previously had limited my time spent fishing the wash.

Last week with the small swells and blue water in close we had a awesome day wash fishing at Albatross point.
We managed to fill the bin with snaps averaging 6 - 8 pounds plus half a dozen decent trev's.

Shame I don't have a Go Pro it was magic watching a 10 pound snap nail a soft bait as it hit the water.

Snapper on surface lures, now that would be fun.

Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 8:00pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've had a bit of success fishing softies out west coast of the Manukau but it certainly is different to the gulf .It certainly helps if there are people fishing smelly baits at the same time though ( or use burley ) to attract the fish .
Generaly I find that west coast snapper feed mainly hard on the bottom ( due to the almost exlusive sandy bottom ie. lack of foul ) So you need to get your gear in that zone .
My experiance only Thumbs Up
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 9:32pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Im a keen softbait / slow jig fisherman,
but i fish alot out of raglan and never have any luck but slay the snapper on the east with them,

I just fish dirty hunks of bait on west and works great!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 7:27am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree with the difficulty, only tried a couple of times and it is not like the east. Haven't tried wash fishing and bait well it does work well on the west.
Prefer hunting game fish.
Thought with the albies and skips anything seems to work for me and softbaits are easy but lures last longer.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 9:21am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Be very carefull Laurie, there is a good reason why you don't see much of this activity on this part of the coast, the wave rider buoy down by the iron sand dock shows some alarming swells that appear out of nowhere, the last person drowned on Albotross Point was fishing in close and that boat was picked up and dumped on the rocks, never turn your motor off and have someone on watch to seaward, personally I have had a bloody good fright on a calm day and we go no closer than 100 metres off the bricks.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 1:41pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers for the advice Dennis,
I have a huge amount of respect for those west coast rogue waves.
The ironic thing is to have really great wash fishing you need the wave action stirring the food up.
But who would be mad enough to fish in close out west when there is a swell running.
Possibly that may be part of the reason why soft baiting hasn't been really successful out west.
The day we were fishing was minimal swell, motor was keep running when in close and the fish were only holding in the spots with current or surges.

Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 4:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've used inchikus the last couple of years with good success in spring time. My pick is that softbaits will work wonders then too. The biggest problem there is the fish are usually in 55m + but with a decent lump of lead and a curly tail fluttering behind it I'm sure you would get results.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote zoodeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 11:17pm
zoodeef View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

• I do a lot of talks on softbaiting at various evenings, at retail stores, fishing clubs, and ... I much  prefer to hear the reel screaming as line peels off with a big fish.

• ASD
    Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 12:16am
    smudge View Drop Down
    Moderator - Ninja
    Moderator - Ninja

Really? I'd like to here more ...
    Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AKL_newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 10:16am
    AKL_newbie View Drop Down
    Bronze
    Bronze

Please do tell Smudge! Tongue
    Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 10:44am
    smudge View Drop Down
    Moderator - Ninja
    Moderator - Ninja

Well this is zoodeefs story. I think he may well be a spammer who has screwed up his hyperlinks. I'll give him a day or two to prove me wrong.
    Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 11:51am
    PJay View Drop Down
    Moderator - Black Belt
    Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by zoodeef zoodeef wrote:

• I do a lot of talks on softbaiting at various evenings, at retail stores, fishing clubs, and ... I much  prefer to hear the reel screaming as line peels off with a big fish.
  • We look forward to learning from you.

Yeah, as Smudgie notes, we have noted zoodeef's name is given as "zoodeef zoodeef" and his/her email address is more than somewhat similar.

But it could be that Mahiman has adopted a new online persona, too.
    PJ
    Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 8:18pm
    kaveman View Drop Down
    Forum Sponsor
    Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

Originally posted by zoodeef zoodeef wrote:

• We look forward to learning from you.

Yeah, as Smudgie notes, we have noted zoodeef's name is given as "zoodeef zoodeef" and his/her email address is more than somewhat similar.

But it could be that Mahiman has adopted a new online persona, too.

Tell us more PJ LOL
    www.kavemantackle.co.nz
    Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave0308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 8:19pm
    Dave0308 View Drop Down
    Silver
    Silver

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

Any one had any success out west?

It's never been that successful for me out west, always caught a few but never really slayed them.
    I used to put it down to dirtier water, lack of structure / weed and that the snaps just didn't seem to have the predatory habits of the eastern fish.

May be my balls just weren't big enough, those west coast rogue waves previously had limited my time spent fishing the wash.

Last week with the small swells and blue water in close we had a awesome day wash fishing at Albatross point.
    We managed to fill the bin with snaps averaging 6 - 8 pounds plus half a dozen decent trev's.

Shame I don't have a Go Pro it was magic watching a 10 pound snap nail a soft bait as it hit the water.

Snapper on surface lures, now that would be fun.

All i use on the east is softbaits and had the same problem out here @ Kawhia but i found that you have to forget how you do it over on the east & use a different method, Im not saying that this is how to do it but it mostly works for me. I cast forward as far as i can and then strip extra line off the spool to get it down to the bottom, then once i know it is on the bottom i strip some more line off to get it back past the boat then once the line is back past the boat then i start twiching the softe back towards me & letting a bit more line out to keep it near the bottom if i need to and they smash them have had it work in up to 55m using 3/4 to 1 oz heads
    Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 7:41am
    Gowest View Drop Down
    Platinum
    Platinum

Ive had some good success out at gannet throwing softies in close to the wash on a calm day. Managed to nail a 12kg kingy out there to. Cant say there would be too many other places I would try it out of raglan though. Big smelly baits are the way to go for snaps
    Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 8:41pm
    Fletch View Drop Down
    Titanium
    Titanium

As above, we got a few nice snaps that day mate, but further south too, over the worm beds at Taharoa very good fishing. Also Aotea reef, and just outside the bar, have had many great feeds.