"BEST" 4 stroke 60HP outboard

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 1:07pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

60 Merc can't go wrong, no point in paying more than you have to just to own a Yamaha or Suzuki

not universally true. My 60 has had engine block wiring faults and a clapped out fuel injector - 2 years old 190 hours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 1:14pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm - was this covered by warranty (but still a hassle even then)?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 2:20pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

major hassle, first time involving Coastguard; second time basically a ruined fishing holiday. Trying to obtain a fuel injector between xmas and mid Jan is impossible.

but yes both mostly covered by warranty.

to be fair I have probably been unlucky. Most boat mechanics I have spoken to have said that the Merc F60 is super reliable. Its certainly very economical.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 2:24pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

. . . and im about to contact Merc NZ over some related labour costs that Ive been asked to stump up. Will let you know how I get on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 6:34pm
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

60 Merc can't go wrong, no point in paying more than you have to just to own a Yamaha or Suzuki

Second that, just clocked 200 hours in 20 months and its been faultless.

Just clocked 500hrs on mine faultless too.
CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 11:01pm
Davo137 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-871696869.htm

Check this gem out mate!!!

Ive gta new 495 with a 60hp yammy 4s on it. Got it new in dec now got 130 hours on it and its mint.

Cheap to run have landed a couple of stripeys in it also. awesome boats mate!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote woodsy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 4:28pm
woodsy13 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ive got a 4.85 with F60 yammy. good setup. go for the 70 if you think you will have 4 on board on any regular basis. i discounted the suzuki because it was another grand at the time of buying. tossed up between yammy and honda and just went with the yammy for no real reason. you should get a good deal at the boat show. where are you based? Brian at Kings Marine in Hamiton is now a Honda dealer and does good rates... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bossco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 8:28pm
Bossco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How did you get on with Merc John B?

Doesnt surprise me they would try it on with labor costs having been through something similar with them before...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 7:44pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi. Got an EFI pre big foot 60 HP Merc. 750hrs. Hasn't missed a beat. 20l Taka to Noiseys and back.
Also had a Merc 175hp Sport jet prior. That ran well too.
I'd say most modern motors are pretty reliable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sposman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 10:10pm
sposman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi, I've got a Honda 60 on my F16 been a brilliant motor so far. Quiet, economical and plenty power. Hardly ever turn it off when drifting or trolling all day don't even hear it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 10:31pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting you dont turn motor off when drifting. So obviously a idleing motor dosent put fish off. Often wondered about. So much easier on battery to leave motor running.
One reason i like Honda. So quiet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 11:53am
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just a summary....bought the Surtees 4.95 at the Boat show with the F60 Yamaha as the package discount for that engine was $4500 off the quote they gave me 2 months ago!!

Also where I am shifting to at Papamoa there is Condor Marine for Yamaha servicing and top recommendations from a few contacts over there. 
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:06pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by CEEBEE CEEBEE wrote:

Just a summary....bought the Surtees 4.95 at the Boat show with the F60 Yamaha as the package discount for that engine was $4500 off the quote they gave me 2 months ago!!

Also where I am shifting to at Papamoa there is Condor Marine for Yamaha servicing and top recommendations from a few contacts over there. 
Nice boat and motor will be awesome, cheap fishing.
You will have to go and do the Surtees Fishing comp next year a short drive for you to Whakatane.

A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 4:26pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome, will keep an eye out for the dates. 

Cheers 
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 6:43pm
fishizzle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Recently bought a new 60hp Suzuki 4 stroke to replace my 50merc 2stroke. best engine ever for my stabi 459. Quiet, small, light. And ridiculously fuel efficient.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 3:51pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Light and day difference from 2 stroke merc two stroke to a new Suzuki. how many ks per litre are you getting.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Page  <12