Rotoiti / Okataina/ etc

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Bummer! I think the local knowledge did it for us, I'm 100% sure that I couldn't repeat our efforts on my own boat. The Minn Kota was terrific but it was the average size of the fish we caught that was the eye opener for me. Next time Russ.

Good luck Bill!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mount62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 6:35pm
mount62 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out for a jig on tarawera this morning before the rain set in. I wouldn't mind getting an electric motor. I found some fish getting nailed every drift but im sure the engine noise eventually scared them off.. unless I caught them all lol.dont think so though. Landed 4 nicies dropped3
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mount62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 7:08pm
mount62 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

New to this forum guys. Its very cool. where are all the fish on Rotoiti?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 7:50am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

heading down to rotoiti for the weekend whats the best way to fly fish the lake. very new to fly fishing. will have a small boat with us
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 10:14am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've always found fly fishing with any great success on this lake to be between May - August, but there are a couple of options (you will need be focusing on early morning or evening at this time of year) :

* Okere Falls above the control gates (slow sinking line, smelt or wooly bugger pattern) early morning, or below the control gates with a fast sinking line same flies (any time of day, but will be rafters around during the day).

* Hauparu Bay / Ruato Bay can still have a few fish around early morning, medium sinking line and smelt fly / wooly bugger for Hauparu, and floating / slow sinking line for Ruato.

* Possibly most productive option would be from the boat in the mornings and evenings around any drop-offs. Have had a bit of success at Hauparu Bay doing this in the mornings, anchor in the 4m depth on the edge of the drop-off and cast into the deeper water with a fast sinking line, it drops away quite quickly from 4m to 10m to 20m+. Fish will cruise those edges.

Was down over Labour Weekend and got most my fish jigging, about 6-7 nice fish all 4 - 6lb in good knick.

Best of luck!

Page  <12