West coast Arrow squid

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: West coast Arrow squid
    Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 2:41pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I live in New Plymouth. Has anyone had any experience with night time jigging from boats  for arrow squid off the west coast? Would love some tips!
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 3:47pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Hi Dan, did a trip out on a Comm boat to around 60miles out over a pin which was 750mts deep in 900mts of water,
your not likely to get out there i am guessing but the Squid we encountered where in the 1 meter long category, these pulled string on 24kg no trouble at all, trouble is the squid jigs couldnt handle the strain...
everyone we hooked also got smashed by its mates, mean as, you would not want to fall overboard out there i tell you... 
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 1:07pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

this is the size of those squid i saw out off the west coast,
how many are out there i have know idea but they definitely are there for sure...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 5:28am
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

are they more chewy to eat at that size? those beaks could take a hand off.