kids freediving

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kids freediving
    Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 3:21pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

While I was briefly chatting to Azazel over the weekend at the cats, he pointed out that kids physically cannot equalise the pressure in their ears until they are like 10 or 12 years old. I was totally ignorant of this medical fact, and figured there are probably plenty of other negligent fathers out there like me who should also be informed of this.

Subsequent googling indicates this is because their eustachian tubes are small and on the wrong angle so they can just block off regardless of what they do. The results can be more than expected and it is easy to see how some middle ear problems could eventuate, ranging from over-doing it with valsalva that was never going to work, to some complicated other effects which have scary medical names. 

Pipi can dive to 8 m, and in the lake was doing 5 - 7 m dives - at first with some pain from not equalising properly but after me encouraging her to equalise frequently she said her ears were OK. Problem is, it is really hard to convince a 9 year old know-it-all to slow down and do as she is told 'cos she just says "OK, OK, OK, yes I'm doing it, I can DOOOOO it, leave me alone Dad". (God knows her 43 year old mother won't listen to me either).

I think I will rein her in a bit, and slow the 7 yo down too. 

So, thanks Chris for letting me know.  Any other contributions on the topic?
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troy Tempest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 3:41pm
Troy Tempest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers for the info it kind of explains things.  The boy has been diving on and off for years and still struggles with the equalizing at 13.  Good to hear your daughters attitude to father help is about the same as mine too!
I think we can only support and guide when they are this stubborn and not let them get into dodgy situations or overdo it.

On a similar topic I'm still looking for a 5mm 2 piece for him to use - would love to buy new but I know it wouldn't last any time at all.  Any suggestions on a 'budget' solution?
·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>
.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>

Just quietly getting on with it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 4:20pm
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to know. My 9 year old asked me the other day to teach her and I told her we can look at it next year. Gives her time to better her swimming etc (And it gives me time to save for a suit etc ;)

I would imagine Frenzel might probably work for them, but good luck explaining how to do that to a small child. 
TG
http://mondoedge.com
http://twitter.com/mondoedge
http://facebook.com/309681785793

"Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 8:35pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Interesting thread. I started my boy when he was about 8 and he was able to equalise ok. He's 16 now and equalises down to 15 metres. He's never had a problem.
On a different note I spent many days, many weekends, many weeks .... getting him to shoot all the little stuff. Banded wrasse, Herrings, Spotties, blue cod. As he got better I migrated him to butterfish and moki. Then paua and kahawai. Then butterfly perch, monk fish, and terakihi. As he got better I eventually allowed him to watch me shoot kingis. I made him watch me shoot and play them many times before I allowed him to shoot and play one himself. I figure that its important to build them up from small to big as each step is a big thrill for them, and they appreciate the bigger fish more if they've done the yards on the littlies first.
Do or do not. There is no try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearfisher916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 10:06pm
spearfisher916 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Barx Barx wrote:

I figure that its important to build them up from small to big as each step is a big thrill for them, and they appreciate the bigger fish more if they've done the yards on the littlies first.

I know someone who started with a 6 ft 7giller...whats the next step?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 10:13pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nobody told Dwane he couldn't equalise! Interesting thread though!
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shiraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 1:49pm
shiraz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Barx said, As he got better I migrated him to butterfish and moki. Then paua and kahawai.

why did you get him to shoot paua?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 2:15pm
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Troy Tempest Troy Tempest wrote:

Cheers for the info it kind of explains things.  The boy has been diving on and off for years and still struggles with the equalizing at 13.  Good to hear your daughters attitude to father help is about the same as mine too!
I think we can only support and guide when they are this stubborn and not let them get into dodgy situations or overdo it.

On a similar topic I'm still looking for a 5mm 2 piece for him to use - would love to buy new but I know it wouldn't last any time at all.  Any suggestions on a 'budget' solution?

This is the only thing holding my daughter back from joining me in the water ... 3mm is a little too uncomfortable down here for her ... was thinking the wettie 3mm suit with a 2/3mm jacket over top perhaps - was planning on ringing wettie when i had some funds for this in March (in time for her birthday)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 3:27pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Wettie hooded, open-cell kids vests are good.  My kids wore them under a cheap steamer or shortie and this added to their "in water" time a lot here (Auckland).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troy Tempest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 9:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Agreed PM - He already has one - works well with his 3mm surf suit. However, as we are down on S. Island and heading into autumn it just isn't enough...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 10:14pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Move then
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troy Tempest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 8:09am
Platinum
Platinum

Probably more economical to just buy a new 5mm...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 8:48pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've got a 2 piece Picasso 5mm that Charlie wore when he was about 8 or 9. Its in good nic. $100 for anyone who wants it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 10:48pm
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ill take it .
Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 5:49pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Oooh, under pressure to deliver now. I'll dig it out and let you know.
Cheers
barx
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 6:31pm
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

no pressure, ive just promised my boy it for his birthday ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 9:54pm
Barx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Case
Here's the suit. 
And also a photo of how big (small?) he was when he wore it

The suit pants measure 1050mm from the top of the shoulder strap to the bottom of the leg. The top measures 410mm from the underarm to the end of the arm. Let me know if you want it.
Cheers
Barx

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 10:16pm
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah im keen barx, pm me your bank account number and I will sort it out . plus a bit of postage to wellington too.sorry to be a pain.