fishfinder woes. What am i doing wrong?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yourmomm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fishfinder woes. What am i doing wrong?
    Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 7:56am
yourmomm View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Image is taken with boat at rest. Transducer has simrad structure scan transducer immediately adjacent and below but i think this is ok?

Simrad nss7 manual not much good here. Any advice appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 9:51am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check out some recent (6months) threads on this subject.. they include diagrams, specs and issues to look at for.. including interference from running transducer cables too close to other items
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yourmomm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 6:54am
yourmomm View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah done that already, before posting, also found a few posts that you previously commented on re air bubble interference. I have been under boat at rest and there are no air bubbles.....Can't find any previous posts with diagrams, schematics, etc, or much on electrical interference. I was hoping someone might recognize the interference pattern and provide me with some guidance... for what is worth, interference pattern seems constant even with rerouted cables...so is this a duff transducer?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 7:17am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

transducer situation looks good to me although i would have the structure scan transducer as close to the centre of the hull as possible.
 have you  got any images where both downview and fishfinder are on same screen? That screenshot just screams clutter to me, reduce either clutter or gain until you get better definition
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yourmomm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 12:55pm
yourmomm View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks kaveman...Yeah placement is not ideal....but there are planing strakes i had to avoid nearer the centreline...Will try fiddling with settings more and see if i can post a downview and fishfinder on same screen next time I'm out, add suggested. Ta.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 8:58pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by yourmomm yourmomm wrote:

Thanks kaveman...Yeah placement is not ideal....but there are planing strakes i had to avoid nearer the centreline...Will try fiddling with settings more and see if i can post a downview and fishfinder on same screen next time I'm out, add suggested. Ta.

have you run the technical guys at navico nz and asked them what they think? Might be the first step. Note your settings and give them a bell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 9:31pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

strakes are a major concern to get good readings.  With sideview, your transducer  needs to be as close to centreline as possible. Also possible to use 2 transducers (1 each side)and connect both to a T cable and then to head unit. Bit of added expense though

I would try and sort out your normal depth sounder readings first though. Good site for info is in the electronics section on www.thehulltruth.com
Some very good info on there as USA have been using these units for longer than us here in NZ
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 9:49pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Throw a sabiki or kaveman micro jig over the side and fill the bait tank upBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 11:31am
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I wonder if the transducers are too close together and interfering with each other?
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT