Advice sought on buying a rifle scope

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 5:48pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What sort of warranty on the Hawkes ? Bushnell have a life time warranty, one of mine had a minor problem, just took it back to the shop where I bought it and it was waiting for me a week later, no charge.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 12:07pm
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

so maybe if i sighted at 150m then it will good enough at 100m to 200m?do not get out often and borrowed rifle but owner never/rarely goes,basically holds on to them for when i visit.thought about buying and have safe.mainly when bored go to his property and have a bit of target and occasional possum hunt,there is deer sign at his dam but not allowed to shoot them,he likes to shoot them with a camera.out the back of hunua which drops in to mangatawhiri.

You really running outa steam with a .22 long rifle at those ranges bud, not saying it cant be done but to give you an example of what your suggesting to do there, if you sighted "zeroed" in at 150 yards you would be shooting roughly 7.6 inches high at 100 yards, at 200 yards if zeroed at 150 yards you would be shooting 16.8 inches low at 200 yards.
Thats using 40grain lead round nose bullet with a muzzle velocity 1255 feet per second, hollow points will drop more.
100yards=1017fps
200yards=893fps

Heres a quick look at 50 yards "zeroed" using the same bullet

25 yards- 0.2 inches high  1192fps
50 yards- 0 'zeroed'
70 - yards 1.2 inches low   1070fps
100 yards 5.4 inches low    1017fps

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 1:18pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks "tugboat"will work on your chart,makes sense now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 5:49pm
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by feeder feeder wrote:

What sort of warranty on the Hawkes ? Bushnell have a life time warranty, one of mine had a minor problem, just took it back to the shop where I bought it and it was waiting for me a week later, no charge.

Cheers

Manufacturers Lifetime Warranty
But the way i see it, 5-10 years use with a 200.00 scope is pretty bloody good. Ive had mine for 3 years now and no worries in all sorts of conditions.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Granville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 10:25am
Granville View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I understand there's scopes for bush hunting and open country hunting. I'm not aware of scopes being designed for one or the other, does it matter what scope I get or are there particular types of scopes that are specific for either bush or open country hunting?
Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 11:59am
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Generally lower magnification compact scopes suits nzbush hunting. Ideally a a 1.5x-4x variable or fixed 4 x scope is ideal. Theres are also some  2-7 variables out there that are great also and flexible for variety of purposes...one of the best Sika hunters we know shoots an old weaver 2-7 scope on a beaten up  25-06.
For tops hunting etc its not unreasonable with the right calibre and experienced hunter to dial in at 20 + magnification. On my 22-250 HB i shoot a 6-24x scope But wouldnt  lug this around the bush all day chasing fallow. A mate who hunts Lochinver Station uses a combo similar to this and is able to headshoot a number of Sika avoiding wasteage...he is like all the good hunters familiar with his scope and rifle and wont go changing it.
For the bush go for a scope you know has good light gathering as many of the animals you hunt will be on dusk in low light and also make sure its waterproof - ive seen many blokes curse their scopes on the hill especially in muggy / wet conditions when scope fogs out. Avoid some of the lower end tasco / bushnell / redfield mass produced crap...not saying all of their range is crap but the low end stuff often fails.
Check out Hawke or Nikon for moderate price - good qual gear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Granville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 7:25pm
Granville View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Pro Fish. That makes sense, the lower magnification for bush hunting. I'm probably more of an open / edge of the bush hunter. Yes, I'd like a scope with good light gathering. 
Will check out the Hawke, Nikon, but also the Burris and Leupold as well.

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote McKoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 8:34pm
McKoy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by catch1t catch1t wrote:

Best bang for buck going around at mo for 3-9 x 40 are Hawke scopes less than $200.00

yea, you dont need to bankrupt yourself on scopes. A lot of the hype re the Burris, Luepolds etc, is just that,, hype.

you can get a reasonably priced scope that performs equally as well as the high $$ optics..

If all you want is a cross hair to zero and shoot, yes. If you want a scope to dial, have clear glass at dusk, and not break with the first drop, no, you absolutely get what you pay for. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 10:10am
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got 5 Bushnell Elites myself, all different magnifications great scopes with the rainguard...mine are 2.5-16x50. 6-20x40, 4-12x50, 3-10x40, and 5-15x50...
You need to work out what cal and type of hunting you wish to do then match your scope... Bushnell Elite certainly let the light in....
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote catch1t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 8:32pm
catch1t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bushnell Elite certainly let the light in....

true, you wont have to take out a mortgage to buy one either..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 6:39pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

https://touch.trademe.co.nz/listing/view/870302284

get a free gun as well, Pecar are very high quality optics on par with any mentioned above
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 6:35pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

if you can not afford a good one , save up and get one . Leupold has been a leader in the market for some time and the scopes are great, (last a life time), A friend just purchased a Marlin 30/30 for around $900-00 and got a 2-7 red dot Leupold with it so buying and selling you can get what you want
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gareth15765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 7:37am
Gareth15765 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

bushnell elite for me I have the tactical 6-24x50 on my 22-250 and a 4-16x40 on my 270 both you can dial in your range (in clicks)and more importantly you can re zero it again after the shot buy simply returning dail to zero

bang for ya buck excellent
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 6:16pm
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I realise this is an older topic, but if you are looking to sight your rifle in this web site is a great tool just select your calibre and bullet name and weight it then brings it up graphed and the drop tabled. http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/ 

“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.”
― Wernher Von Braun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 6:27pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've just put a VX3 4.5-14 on trademe for $750. Happy to take $700 for it from the forum to avoid trademe's fees. Although if someone bids on the trademe sale I can't accept $700.
Only reason for sale is I just got carried away and got a VX6 3-18. Send me a pm for details.
Page  <12