South Island Tour

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South Island Tour
    Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 1:36pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My partner and I made our first 15 day Central/Northern South Island tour over the New Years going about the Canterbury, West Coast, Marlborough and Nelson regions for sight seeing, tramping and of course a bit of fishing.

On our first mish, the reports of Salmon runs on the Canterbury river mouths had us try it for half a day. Without having a 4wd drive made us do an hour long walk to the lagoons and windy conditions made it hard for distance cast. No Salmon for us but a nice Sea run brown trout made our evening.

On our stop around Tekapo we fished the Canals in the evenings. Very strong Norwesters made it hard for a fly cast so took the spinning gear out and it got us a 7lb Salmon on a Rapala. 

The next evening the wind died down and its all fly. We fished till dark and only landed another resident canal brown. 

A was fishing along with a local old bloke that evening and when we were about to leave, he lands a big fat 20b rainbow. Wish I had met him earlier on as he has given me lots of good tips fishing the canals. Until next time then.

On a west coast river, with calm breezes and easy access we had a fantastic days fishing. There were heaps of anglers and kayakers in the river but even so we got 10 browns on the 2lb-5lb mark over a small stretch of river and just basically casting on the soft water under the willows.

In Nelson we explored a very remote river in which we had to take a lake water taxi to get to and from it. Plenty of fish in every pool and riffle but it was hard to sell anything. Walked over for 4 hours up and down the river and on the way back I manage to convince this guy to take my fly.

Hard yakka for day but the back country scenery on this place was just fantastic. 

We could have fished more rivers and lakes but the summer holiday season for almost everyone made our options very limited. Lots of Dried rivers, boat/swimming activity, other Anglers and Freedom campers on every angler access points.

We are both are still at awe at this wonderful part of the country and we feel quite privileged to experience exploring and fishing its parts.

Last note, we released all of our fish with the exception for the canal Salmon which we had for dinner that evening and the sea run trout which we gave to the old couple in our camping grounds. No rainbow trout for us too.. but we got this one though. Happy New Years to everyone.

Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 4:41pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one ariel....that last pic is a beauty.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 8:03am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 6:05pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great report Ariel.  You sure as hell covered a lot of water despite the ****ing tourists.  That last photo is sensational!  Thanked
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 5:07pm
Norseman View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

beautiful fish!
"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength." St. Francis de Sales
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 10:55am
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys. I'm planning on a week long fish at all around Taupo this winter. Hopefully will some something similar or better outcome.
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover