Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  <1 373839
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 9:34pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If you haven't already try Avana harbor. There is jetty you can cast from in front of the resort there. Ive seen barracudas and gts steam rolling through there. incoming be best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 4:31am
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks will give it a go. Will post an update after today's session
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 7:41pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Very average weather today, windy and lots of rain. Managed a small something colourful this afternoon during a break in the weather. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 3:38pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So it's been very windy making fishing difficult, at least the sun has been out a bit more.

Fished a few spots today the best being the Aorangi lagoon/channel. Messed up and spoked a good blue fin wading the flat towards the channel. Once the tide dropped was able to wade out and fish where the two channels converge.

Pulled a small blue fin off the channel edge. Also has a very large grey shape come of the edge to check out my fly. Guessing it was a GT, had to be 1m long and 20kg. Would have been a brief fight on the 8wt.

Last day fishing tomorrow, fingers crossed for sun and light winds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 8:03pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, big bluefin can be quite touchy and need to be stalked carefully if you're going to get a fly anywhere near them.

It sounds like you've found some good coral channels. Reef pass/outflow channels that cut through the reef and flow straight out to sea can be even better. You want to fish them on the bottom half of the outgoing tide. Find the fastest current you can and rip a clouser straight up the middle of it as fast as you can. It is surprising the fish can catch the fly in the roaring current, but they easily do.

And sneak up on the outflow too. The best fish can be right at your feet and will spook easily. A long cast directed into the fastest bit of current will generally get a big strike straight away.

Hope your last day goes well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 6:31am
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for that will give it a go, I was swinging flies across the current so likely not going fast enough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:37am
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yesterday's effort resulted in a hooked and lost GT of medium size off Avana what, had to hold it hard to keep it out of the coral and pulled the hook. Got the fly in front what looked like a large barracuda at Avana but it wasn't interested.

Despite not getting many fish it was a great few days .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:30am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good work on the GT hook-up A ripped hook is better than a bust-off

Sounds like Rarotonga is worth fishing. I thought it might be a bit fished out with the size of the population there. But at least it's a whole arm and a leg cheaper than going to Aitutaki.

I'd love to get to some of the other non-lagoon islands in that area. Double flights make them expensive though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 4:36pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Craig

There is definitely scope to pull some good fish. I would love to have more time to put into the blue fin, they definitely like soft edges and current based on what I have seen.

The wife may have a teaching gig on Aitutaki in late Feb next year, will definitely tag along if so 😜.

Cheers
Ted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:27am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

great stuff here good to see someone giving Raro a good go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:29am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

C'mon Will, where's the report? Don't tell me you did your laundry before writing up the T/R LOL
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 8:37pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Haha lol.
I have a full video coming but until then IT WAS FKN AMAZING
I was dismayed by the pending forecast when I left Auckland and could have cried with what was coming but never judge a book by its cover. It rained for the first 2 days and winds were 20 knots + with gusts up to 30 knots most days.
However, this worked in my Favour as 30-meter casts were no problem just by chucking the fly in the air. The water was mostly choppy, but I could see the fish even with no sun most days and feel the chop gave me an edge.
I was the only one out there at one foot for 6 days and the flats were mine solo diy rain wind and shine.
I hooked 16 bones and landed 12, 3 over 10 plbs and 2 of those easily 12/13 plbs, Multiple trevallies, a golden trevally and I think I got a blue but have to confirm. And oh yeah, the GT the big ass line ripping GT.
Bones and fish were everywhere, multiple schools and one over 200 fish at the point at one foot, they were fun, and fish were almost guaranteed, but it was the big boys I was after, and I can honestly say I slayed it.
I used the trusty yellow Clouser (thx Butch for getting me to stick with it) and man did it perform, it caught everything.
The island has has some pretty big southerly swells and High seas before I arrived and a lot of the sand islands are gone and now the southern end is just multiple big, beautiful flats, some of the channels are gone and access was easier without the need for a kayak.
The Gts that usually hang out with the tour boats are gone and rumor is they were taken for someone's dinner, but this meant there were wild random ones out on flats I have never seen before.
I took 6 rods and only one got one out and used it the whole time, my trusty nautilus 9 weight and the new trapper silence 9 weight, what a great combo (247 grams dry weight rod and reel).
I am still buzzing to be honest and today i was still casting at anything that moved, cats, dogs you name it I was catching them.
yeeeehah.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 8:57pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good work Will! Looks like the wild weather worked in your favour
That's a good sized blue/barred trevally too (Carangoides ferdau). One of my favourite fish.
Looks like Aitutaki is still a great place to be
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 9:01pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hell yeah it is rocking. Heres a teaserSmile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 6:23am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

oooooooooo
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 6:40am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Loving that! GT hooked over sand. Brilliant! But it looks like you are trying to go backwards so I get the feeling there is coral further down the beach Hope you landed it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 9:12am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fantastic!😍
Great report and fishing
Chunky bones!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 6:26pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Good work Will! Looks like the wild weather worked in your favour
That's a good sized blue/barred trevally too (Carangoides ferdau). One of my favourite fish.
Looks like Aitutaki is still a great place to be

Haha thx for the info. So I didnt get a golden but I did get a blue and the/blue barred so 2 out 3 aint bad.
Page  <1 373839