Whitianga

Page  <1 151617
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 11:54am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Schools of Maccas in the bay and with the settled weather there's been some really good kingi action without going too far at all. The location of the schools is pretty obvious simply by the number of boats and the charter guys are onto it so keep an eye out for them.  
Lots of kings around the 90cm mark and we managed to get a double yesterday and then my daughter Lana nailed one just on 1m  ~13kg according to the weight/length chart.  All 3 were released as we'd kept one the day before.

What seems to work for me is to get a bait (just one) straight back down when you get your first livie or two. I'm using 60lb fluoro leaders and 9/0 trokar circles with 15m a topshot of 10kg mono on 30 or 50lb braid for anyone who hasn't done a lot of fishing and rather than holding the rod, just leave it in the rodholder on strike which is set @ about 3kg. Some will say to hold the rod but I've seen too many inexperienced anglers strike on a bite (even when you tell them it's the last thing they should do) and pull the bait out of the king's mouth. I generally don't use any weight in the bay unless there quite a lot of drift. You need to give the other boats some clearance and lead your fish away from the fleet once hooked obviously.

A few people have been slow trolling around the schools with a couple of baits quite a distance behind them and that really doesn't work for anyone as if they hook up, there too much line out and too many opportunities for the hooked king to wreck havoc amongst the other boats.

It's great fun and for more experienced anglers on some lighter gear, quite challenging when the snapper fishing can be slow in the area at this time of year.

Further out there's good numbers of kings too and a slow trolled livie is worth a crack...

There's reasonable snapper fishing at 50-55m straight out of the bay atm and softbaits and kaburas seem to be working well. They are hard on the bottom and reasonably scattered so if there's not much sign then don't panic - they'll be there and make sure you're there at Bitetime!

Over the hill there's been a bit of action out in the puddle. Early morning and evenings seem to be the go and some good old-fashioned bait and burley just off the Kuaotunu reef is worth a shot if you can get there for sunrise.

On the gamefishing front, a nice bigeye tuna caught yesterday at 850 off the footprint and the same boat hooked and lost a stripey on the way in. Another stripey tagged in 145m out on Middle ground.

Few crays about but no great numbers and just a matter of covering the territory. 10-20m is good depth range to work. You can still get a feed of scollies out at the cove or Opito but fair to say those areas have had a hiding. The commercial boys ploughed Opito right into their allowed zone early December so no point in going outside those lines and inside that, just a matter of finding an area that's not been hammered by divers. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 2:06pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report for that area. Covers it all. Thanks
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 7:44pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Brilliant report. Thanks for sharing Grant.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Namu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 12:49pm
Te Namu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

wish I'd read your report before I was there early this week!
Great report thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PukeFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 7:10pm
PukeFisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

excellent reoprt grunta
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PukeFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 7:22pm
Gold
Gold

17/01/2019

headed out with a plan to target snapper but grabbed some livebait on the way out just incase they were hard work. Pressed out to great mercury and fished around arimiwhai pt got here about 7.45am,started straylinging baits back into the foul 30 metres deep, within five minutes had a nice snapper near 50cm and thought it would be a good session had two on snapper snatchers with mullet and were being hammered by snapper only problem was all were around 27cm mark i managed two more on strayline around 35-38cm before the sharks turned up in full force bite died off soon after .
was now about 9.30am and only had three snapper so might aswell go target some kings since they are very plentiful at the moment headed for ohinau and drifted some baits over the pin close in was a stack of sign and was hooking up within minutes of being down landed 10 kingfish kept 2 for the smokehouse..

Tightlines all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PukeFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 7:29pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

Schools of Maccas in the bay and with the settled weather there's been some really good kingi action without going too far at all. The location of the schools is pretty obvious simply by the number of boats and the charter guys are onto it so keep an eye out for them.  
Lots of kings around the 90cm mark and we managed to get a double yesterday and then my daughter Lana nailed one just on 1m  ~13kg according to the weight/length chart.  All 3 were released as we'd kept one the day before.

What seems to work for me is to get a bait (just one) straight back down when you get your first livie or two. I'm using 60lb fluoro leaders and 9/0 trokar circles with 15m a topshot of 10kg mono on 30 or 50lb braid for anyone who hasn't done a lot of fishing and rather than holding the rod, just leave it in the rodholder on strike which is set @ about 3kg. Some will say to hold the rod but I've seen too many inexperienced anglers strike on a bite (even when you tell them it's the last thing they should do) and pull the bait out of the king's mouth. I generally don't use any weight in the bay unless there quite a lot of drift. You need to give the other boats some clearance and lead your fish away from the fleet once hooked obviously.

A few people have been slow trolling around the schools with a couple of baits quite a distance behind them and that really doesn't work for anyone as if they hook up, there too much line out and too many opportunities for the hooked king to wreck havoc amongst the other boats.

It's great fun and for more experienced anglers on some lighter gear, quite challenging when the snapper fishing can be slow in the area at this time of year.

Further out there's good numbers of kings too and a slow trolled livie is worth a crack...

There's reasonable snapper fishing at 50-55m straight out of the bay atm and softbaits and kaburas seem to be working well. They are hard on the bottom and reasonably scattered so if there's not much sign then don't panic - they'll be there and make sure you're there at Bitetime!

Over the hill there's been a bit of action out in the puddle. Early morning and evenings seem to be the go and some good old-fashioned bait and burley just off the Kuaotunu reef is worth a shot if you can get there for sunrise.

On the gamefishing front, a nice bigeye tuna caught yesterday at 850 off the footprint and the same boat hooked and lost a stripey on the way in. Another stripey tagged in 145m out on Middle ground.

Few crays about but no great numbers and just a matter of covering the territory. 10-20m is good depth range to work. You can still get a feed of scollies out at the cove or Opito but fair to say those areas have had a hiding. The commercial boys ploughed Opito right into their allowed zone early December so no point in going outside those lines and inside that, just a matter of finding an area that's not been hammered by divers. 

what area is referred to as the Puddle, is it the sand 30m mark off Kuaotuna and Gt Merc?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Markvetnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 4:40pm
Markvetnz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for report. Was wondering what weight to put on a livie in the Bay. Good to know you just put the livie on with no sinker. I'm relatively new to fishing off Whiti and I decided to get really good at targeting Kingies this year. I've found some really good spots and have managed over 60 so far. (No. I didn't keep them all. Just the occasional one when the fridge needed stocking up.) I've found jigging using 300 to 400 gram metal baits has worked the best for me. Last weekend caught a ton of livies in the bay before heading out behind red merc. Between 8.30 and 9.30 caught 6 Kingies and headed out for some deep drops. 1 small puka and then home. If anyone wants to swap some deep drop intel for some good Kingfish intel I'd be keen to have a yarn. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 9:13pm
-mAdfis HO- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey guys might have a look for some skippies tomorrow are they in pretty close at the moment?
FiShInG rOcKs! ChEeRs -mAdfis HO-

Page  <1 151617