New Orvis Helios 5 weight rod combo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stevoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Orvis Helios 5 weight rod combo
    Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 1:34pm
Stevoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well the much awaited 10 foot float tube combo arrived the other day. 5 Weight Orvis Helios 2 with Calvin Torque reel and Rio camo intermediate line.

First cast with the new rod and wow! Can't wait to blood her at lake O or Rerewhakaitu next week.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else in nz have one of these rods, or know of an nz distributor?
Fishing is the answer, what was the question?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 1:48pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great rods, I have the old one in California which has a nice action, it's a shame there here in NZ.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 3:52pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is that the RIO camolux intouch line? have one on the way myself should go great out of the tube.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stevoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 6:00pm
Stevoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeh O'Neill it is camolux. I figured camo line would be a good bet for the shallow lakes against the banks. Seems Orvis aren't overly common in nz?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 6:23pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I began guiding, a couple of years back Cry, virtually every client brought an Orvis "Spring Creek" 9'3" #5 weight rod with them, they dominated. This died out when Don Green started Sage and the whole scale turned. 

Galvin reels are superb, Orvis rods, while functional, have gone the way of Hardy and many others and become, sadly, just another Asian made rod with a great heritage. They are functional, not as good as the best on offer, but perfectly acceptable fishing rods.

It's too big an ask to have anyone distribute another Asian made rod in NZ and still honor warranties when the established brands are already doing this so well. Enjoy it, and try not to break it.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 6:46pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Stevoe Stevoe wrote:

Yeh O'Neill it is camolux. I figured camo line would be a good bet for the shallow lakes against the banks. Seems Orvis aren't overly common in nz?

Thats my reasoning too. Use it from the tube over weed beds slightly faster sink rate than the hover lines.
Must check out the reel.
Clark is that Galvin or Galvan reels they both seem to be available at different price points. reminded me I must ring Dunedin about Ross Evolution 3 spools.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 7:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by o Neill o Neill wrote:

[QUOTE=Stevoe] 
Clark is that Galvin or Galvan reels they both seem to be available at different price points. reminded me I must ring Dunedin about Ross Evolution 3 spools.

Well there's a twist, never realised there was two. Did you try Mike Davis at Rotorua, he has spools for all sorts of stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 7:57pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No I got a message from Ross to use the shop in Dunedin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote upstream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 10:49pm
upstream View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Clark Reid Clark Reid wrote:

Galvin reels are superb, Orvis rods, while functional, have gone the way of Hardy and many others and become, sadly, just another Asian made rod with a great heritage. They are functional, not as good as the best on offer, but perfectly acceptable fishing rods.

It's too big an ask to have anyone distribute another Asian made rod in NZ and still honor warranties when the established brands are already doing this so well. Enjoy it, and try not to break it.

Clark. All Orvis rods aside from the budget models are made in Manchester Vermont. I would also suggest that the Helios is right up there with anything else that the other top brands make. It is a pity that they don't have local representation, but they will support you out of the States. I got a rod back 3 weeks after sending the broken rod away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2014 at 5:59am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by upstream upstream wrote:

Clark. All Orvis rods aside from the budget models are made in Manchester Vermont. I would also suggest that the Helios is right up there with anything else that the other top brands make. It is a pity that they don't have local representation, but they will support you out of the States. I got a rod back 3 weeks after sending the broken rod away.

OK, I stand corrected, it's against what I had been told, but then this business is often based on poor rumour and I apologise for adding to it. I researched what you have said and its true so thanks for putting me back on the right track with that. Having said that, I still don't really rate them, but they are a very strong rod in comparison to many. 

Certainly Orvis held one of the very top spots for an extended period of time and that old Spring Creek rod was coveted in it's day and the "perfect" rod, in its time, for fishing in NZ. Liekwise the reels, especially when made by Hardy were as good as you could get. I must have owned at least a dozen of the old CFO III in my day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote upstream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2014 at 12:16pm
upstream View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

No problem Clark. This industry is built on unsubstantiated rumours.

But yours and others poor opinions of Orvis are largely of their own doing. They really took their eyes off the ball with regards to flyfishing in the mid nineties to mid noughties, with a focus on other outdoor equipment such as dog beds and women's blazers. I have an Ovis rod from this time (given to me as a gift) and it is not a great piece of equipment. I broke it twice within the space of two months while fishing the Tongariro. Luckily Orvis' customer services is still top notch and they sorted me out.

But it would seem that they have turned the corner in recent years and are producing top rods again. I haven't cast a Helios myself, but all the reviews I have read are excellent.

I still have an Orvis Battenkill reel that I use because it just won't die.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2014 at 12:38pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by upstream upstream wrote:

No problem Clark. This industry is built on unsubstantiated rumours.

But yours and others poor opinions of Orvis are largely of their own doing. They really took their eyes off the ball with regards to flyfishing in the mid nineties to mid noughties, with a focus on other outdoor equipment such as dog beds and women's blazers. I have an Ovis rod from this time (given to me as a gift) and it is not a great piece of equipment. I broke it twice within the space of two months while fishing the Tongariro. Luckily Orvis' customer services is still top notch and they sorted me out.

But it would seem that they have turned the corner in recent years and are producing top rods again. I haven't cast a Helios myself, but all the reviews I have read are excellent.

I still have an Orvis Battenkill reel that I use because it just won't die.
Fair to say I am now on the back foot a little in this discussion, but I would offer my opinions are mine and mine alone. I really haven't rated anything of theirs for a while...based on me personaly casting and fishing with them or at least having clients doing so.

Orvis Customer Service is exemplary! I was given a watch which failed, it was crap Asian made with ORVIS written on it, but when it failed they did everything to ensure things were put right. On that score I do rate them highly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stevoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 9:54am
Stevoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for all feedback guys. After not overly enjoying my last 10 footer, decided to take the punt on this. Will be very interested to see how it fishes compared to my 6 Weight Scott radian, which is an excellent rod.

This article may interest some of you: http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/2014-five-5-weight-shootout-orvis-hardy-scott-sage-best-fly-rod-review-test

My first impressions of the Galvan are also very good. The finish is superb and the drag is very smooth. I may attempt to destroy it out on the salt chasing some big trevally over the coming days 😃
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stevoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 1:19pm
Stevoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well I made it down to lake Otamangakau last week, and while the fishing was slow for the day and a bit that I fished it, I did manage this one on dark..

As for the Orvis Rod, I'm impressed. Compared to my last 10 footer, it was chalk and cheese. Whilst fishing from the float tube, I don't think i slapped the line on the water during the backcast even once. Nice and light in hand, it also seemed to cast nice and accurately in close. I have yet to do a test cast between this and my 6 weight Scott radian, but at this point I'd put them about even, perhaps with a slight advantage to the Orvis in close.

Also managed to get up to Lake Okataina for a morning session on the kayak. Managed a nice fish on the jig, and a couple harling.... pics attahced. Very good conditioned fish, best went about 7 pounds. All went back to fight another day :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 5:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

Great work!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stevoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:39pm
Stevoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just thought I'd reignite an old thread. Has anyone had a play with the new H3 rods? I see Kilwell imports them these days, although I don't care much for the white band at the bottom of the blank.

I have to say after a few years of waving the 5 wt 10ft H2, it has become the rod that I reach for more and more.
The 5wt Rio single handed spey line turns this rod into a weapon. I can cast right down to the backing without breaking a sweat.
I also run a 6wt wulff ambush with an intermediate head, and can reach the opposite bank on tongariro with a basic single spey cast. 😀

Swing weight is slightly heavy, as you'd expect from a 10 footer, but the rod is light at 2.75 oz. And tough! My (not so careful) mate borrowed it and high sticked it on a snag one day, nearly doubled it over yet it survived. Interestingly, I see the H2 switch rod came out tops of the recent Yellowstone angler switch and spey shootout. Now that the H2 is discontinued, I am tempted to build one if the blanks are discounted.