School me

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote David Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 10:31pm
David Robson View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

herby, just remember how you got banned from coarsefishing.co.nz, you need to look at the evidence before you open your mouth. Take for example lake pupuke it has koi, but it is still crystal clear, look at turtle lake, DoC say that rudd destroy plants, well turtle lake is full of rudd...AND PLANTS
I only fish on days that end in "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 5:41am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pupuke is a really bad example to use. 
Yes it has koi in it - but very few. 
The density of koi in Pupuke is so low and Pupuke is so big that their cumulative impact on the water quality there is probably pretty minimal.  
Have you actually been in Lake Pupuke or just looked in to the water from the surface? I've spent many hours in the water and guess what.... the top ~10 metres is actually pretty dirty, far from 'crystal clear', the poor visibility I suspect is from algae though. 

Don't know about Turtle Lake.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 6:20am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=smudge] I'm with Herby for what it is worth. Wasn't the release of koi into New Zealand waterways illegal in the first place?

Yes they were and have done considerable damage to those of us who fish for sports fish. I personally will not fish for carp because of the ethical problems that clash with their release. Is herby though the same person who spears freshwater sports fish? The same fish I pay a licence for.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 6:59am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nope, unless you call goldfish, koi and grass carp sports fish?   

Personally, I think that as long as size and bag limits are adhered to and a license is held, spearing sports fish should be allowed. Smoked trout is pretty good, and spearing in the sea isn't always possible. A dead fish is a dead fish no matter how it is caught right? 

Unfortunately it currently isn't permitted so I leave them alone. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:09am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Koi definitely do damage the waterways.
Nothing wrong with catching all the koi you want, just remember, they are a noxious pest species, do not release them. If you do not like killing fish for no reason, here is a very good reason, koi and Rudd make excellent bait for sea fish and also superb burley.
Saying koi are not noxious is like saying poor liddle possums are cute and furry and don't do any damage you have seen, it is all DOC lies! Well, no, wrong, possums DO cause a lot of damage, just as actually koi do....they really are the equivalent of possums in the water.
Herby, being able to spear trout, not too sure about that at all, kinda disagree actually. However, I do agree with what you say about a dead trout being a dead trout, so the manner of catching that fish is largely irrelevant. Up to a point...some forms do more damage to fish than others..., flies catch fish in the mouth, globugs often gut hook them, that is bad. Fishing with worms for trout, usually gut hooks them, so releasing undersize fish is frankly a waste of time, they are dead anyhow. However, using sabikis or multiple hooks to catch trout, no worries whatsoever I reckon.
But no, not spearing them, that is a little beyond the pale.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:35am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interested to know your reasoning Captain A?
We have size limits for many species of fish in the sea, and we are allowed to spear them. The inability to release any undersized fish is a bit of a moot point. When you spear a fish the intent is obviously not to release them - you can choose what you do and don't get, so you simply don't spear what you don't want to spear. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:21am
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Surely just a matter of time now before somebody uses the words "sporting" and "ethics".....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 6:37pm
viper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yawn ,yawn,yawn
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 7:22pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Actually I was more thinking about the inherent conflicts of some looney insisting on his right to snorkel down the tongariro spearing trout in front of a few fly fishermen. Things may become....tense.
Just the act of snorkeling down thru the pools would scatter the trout, spoiling the fishing for others. If no one else was around.....who would know, it wouldn't be the first time ever someone would have speared or used the nickel spinner on trout.
Sporting? Meh. Ethics? Subjective. Many years ago, before wee fellas like youse guys were born (well, slight exaggeration there perhaps) but I was dead keen on using some minnow lures on taupo, but in those days, hell, TWO hooks on a single lure? Impossible! But now?
So, things change.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 7:38pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dropoffs in Lake Taupo would be all good though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 7:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Sorry guys, I know this is your forum but releasing koi is illegal. End of story.

I'm sure Mullins is an ethical, sporting (see what I did there???) fisherman. It's not as if this country is going to run out of coarse fish anytime soon. Not even Mullins can clear the Waikato river of koi. Unless he used two spearguns....
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 8:53pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I certainly did my best a few years ago with bow, spear and gaff. Didn't make much of a dent though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KiwiCoarseTackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:16pm
KiwiCoarseTackle View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Stopped by a nice lake today which if I named it most would agree is stuffed with koi and rudd...the water was as clear as the stuff out of a tap, the weed growth was thick and healthy and believe it or not the banks were exactly the same as they were 14 years ago.....strange considering all the damage these fish do.....couple of other facts about this water....no trout, no cattle around it well there are but fenced at least 20m from the waters edge...no boats, in particular jet skis speed boats or other "toys"......this place really is stuffed with fish...probably over stocked by a factor of 5...and still gin clear???? I just cant understand it....

Also stopped at a spot I fish on the Waikato.....dirty, smelly no weed and the bank has undercut and moved back from its original spot 12 years ago maybe 2 metres.....again as people keep saying stuffed with koi and on the far bank a mob of cattle wading about, 6 jetskis doing **** knows what speed within 5 minutes and a ski boat and a biscuit boat (just a small amount of wash Confused) and trout......

Hardly scientific I know but you would think with all the claims of damage and such the condition of these 2 waters would be the opposite way around??????? Or did I miss something????
Need coarse fishing tackle??? Give me a yell
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:31pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It must be the trout.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KiwiCoarseTackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:35pm
KiwiCoarseTackle View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

It must be the trout.

Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smile couldn't resist adding that bitLOLLOLLOLLOL
Need coarse fishing tackle??? Give me a yell
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote David Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:17pm
David Robson View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Sorry guys, I know this is your forum but releasing koi is illegal. End of story.

I'm sure Mullins is an ethical, sporting (see what I did there???) fisherman. It's not as if this country is going to run out of coarse fish anytime soon. Not even Mullins can clear the Waikato river of koi. Unless he used two spearguns....

Just shows how stupid DoC really is, they will never get rid of the carp so why all the waste of time and money trying. Why can't they just shut their big mouths and let us have a good time?
I only fish on days that end in "Y"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 78SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 9:26pm
78SS View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Finally on Sunday I caught my first Koi Carp at lake Waahi in Huntly. It happened so fast I couldnt believe it. Threw the line in and 2 minutes later I had a small perch on, got him in and baited up again and cast back in. 20 minutes later I see my float starting to move slowly to the left and then the right, thinking I could have one on I start to reel in and soon as some tension is on the line - bam hes off and my reel is screaming, what a rush. After a few minutes fighting I got him back to the shore and netted, job done. Great fun, ill be back for more.

Page  <12