THIS is the fisheries management forum!

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smithy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 6:10pm
Smithy7 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ok, so in the fine print in your local mataitai reserves does it contain the same " we can exclude everyone, but then allow tribe members to fish with a permit the same as now". Seems to me they are just wanting to exclude everyone but the tribes members. For them to close an area, what are they basing it on. There is no stock assessment done on this area now. Surely it would have to be done on a scientific survey not just a "I think the stock is low. Close the area.
Guess I'm very suspicious as I don't like the way it is all going especially when they want control of all the fresh water sources as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 9:34pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i can see your concern Smithy7 but considering that has not been implimented in any other mataitai reserves i beleive you might just be over reacting a little,
sure they do have the right to close an area down totally but its not in their interest to do so, 
unless of coarse a particulate species is totally under threat of being wiped out,
you do realize you can get a permit to cover a funeral or birthday for yourself just like they do,

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 6:54am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another thing to remember is that they may wish to do these things but all conditions of the Mataitai have to be signed off by the Ministers in charge of Fisheries and I think Conservation. From what I can gather if it is not in the general public interest they will not sign off on it.
This Mataitai application for the Whakatane area has been going on for several years now. I have had updates about its progress through being a delegate for the NZSFC. From what I can gather the proposed area covered by the Mataitai is much smaller than the original proposal as there are some small commercial operators (cray fisherman and/or long liners) who operate out of the Thorton River mouth who would have been put out of business and they have a history of fishing these waters going way back (Note these are small sustainable fishing operations not mass fish removal operations) and it was thought that there was no way the Minister would have approved this.

Also they can't just have a blanket ban on the taking of fish/shellfish etc they have to stipulate what species are in trouble and have some evidence to back this up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smithy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 6:52pm
Smithy7 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah Thanks for that Lethal and Marligator. As I said I'm alittle suspicious. We have lost a lot of hunting areas when they have said nothing will change with them managing it, and now only certain people can hunt behind Kawerau. Now another tribe is looking at banning  people from hunting in the ureweras You should be able to see my concern when areas are taken out of crown control, for the benefit of everyone and given to one group to control. I believe the locals at Matata are also looking at a Mataitai off there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Glaucus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 2:36pm
Glaucus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'd just like to add that Mataitai are not predominantly designed to be a stock replenishing tool.

It is a result of honouring/ acknowledging (choose which you prefer) the Treaty of Waitangi and is carried out by different legislation (including Fisheries Act). Matatai is an area of water; rohe moana, that is of special importance (in the way of customary fishing) to iwi/hapu and allows the iwi to manage that area.

The iwi has to have their rohe moana gazetted, this can be difficult to do, particularly where a lot of iwi/ hapu have overlapping areas of significance (particularly east cape) and cannot come to an agreement about their boundaries.

Marligator is right, comms are nearly always automatically excluded from fishing in a mataitai but the iwi can create by-laws to allow certain methods back in. These by-laws can also be created around recreational catch. They can't however choose that only Maori can fish there but no one else, but yes would be able to make it customary authorisation only. 

I'm not too sure if any mataitai has actually managed to put in place their own recreational by-laws though... Would be interesting to know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote sposman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 8:04pm
sposman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah look up Sealord deal in govt website , gives full description to DOC. Interesting that Moari under the Sealords deal in 1992 got 10 percent of quota bought back and given to them,plus half shares in Sealord which have 23% of quota. And also 20% of all new species. Given that Sealords and Sanfords are overfishing, dumping and bringing in foreign crews leaves big questions regarding traditional sustainable fishing
Page  <12