Fisheries Management

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fisheries Management
    Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 10:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We now have a new sub forum for the Briny Bar titled Fisheries Management. Post any of your concerns on the state of the fisheries or commercial wastage etc in there.

It is an important topic and it does deserve its own forum.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 2:51am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

this is still not the best idea, reason there will be continual Quotes of different posts when people start making comments on individual post,
mark my words everything will be lost within days....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 2:52am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Fisher stalwart ready to fight ban,

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/10484078/Fisher-stalwart-ready-to-fight-ban

i would have thought when the Goverment decided to make these REC only reserves they could make provisions for guys that target Flounder/Mullet,

they could allocate area's for which they have a history for targeting these fish, i do fell for these Folk as they cant just go some place to catch them plus they must be doing it right if there are still adequate fish for them to catch...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 3:09am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Blitz on fishing ships off South Island coast

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11326570

Two commercial fishing ships have been sent back to port for breaching regulations after inspectors boarded 16 vessels off the South Island coast.

The NZ Defense Force provided a ship and a plane -- the HMNZS Wellington and an RNZAF Orion -- to enable MNZ to target vessels while they were operating at sea.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 3:29am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

What's the Catch? Challenges and Opportunities of the U.S. Fishing Industry

The economic importance of the fishing sector extends well beyond the coastal communities for which it is a vital industry. Commercial fishing operations, including seafood wholesalers, processors, and retailers, all contribute billions of dollars annually to the U.S. economy. Recreational fishing—employing both fishing guides and manufacturers of fishing equipment—is a major industry in the Gulf Coast and South Atlantic. Estimates suggest that the economic contribution of the U.S. Rec fishing industry is nearly $90 billion annually, and supports over one and a half million jobs.

http://www.brookings.edu/research/papers/2014/09/10-challenges-opportunities-of-the-us-fishing-industry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 3:37am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Pollution and falling fish stocks damage Gulf

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11332282

Councillors speak out about sad state of city’s marine playground

As $100 million of shiny new craft go on display at Auckland's On the Water Boat Show, the Hauraki Gulf has received a damning report about its health.

Depleted fish stocks, new marine pests and pollution by toxic chemicals from the land are highlighted in an updated State of the Hauraki Gulf Report.

The findings show a continuing and steady decline on its 2011 state and Hauraki Gulf Forum chairman John Tregidga has called a press conference for Monday to appeal for action "to stop the degradation".

Two of Auckland Council's representatives on the multi-agency forum, Christine Fletcher and Mike Lee, yesterday broke ranks to express their frustration at lack of progress.

Halfway down the page something interesting that LegaSea might like to take note of....

NZ Marine Industries chief executive Peter Busfield

"From my observations, I've heard nothing from boating people about problems in the Gulf and I saw dolphins and whales coming up under the Harbour Bridge last week and the fishing is good."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 4:06am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Allegations dismay fish firm boss

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11332653

"This is the beginning of the end. We have still got a lot of work.

"The law of natural justice allows potential offenders to explain to us why these discrepancies may have occurred."

Mr D'Esposito said he had not yet been interviewed.

He has past fishery convictions, including making false statements in quota reports and the illegal possession of fish with brother Hawke's Bay Seafoods director Joe.

In 1994, the Wellington District Court imposed a fine of $989,395 on them and related companies, with $10million worth of boats and vehicles forfeited.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 7:33am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

this is still not the best idea, reason there will be continual Quotes of different posts when people start making comments on individual post,

Seeeesh Eric…you have a whole FORUM to vent your spleen now and you're still not happy?

Perhaps start a FACEBOOK page so you can preach your surmons unabated…..you could call it "The Soapbox"?

….inhale/exhale
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 7:37am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

My post will probably get sensured but I'll be first to reply to your comment here Lethal,
Good idea from smudge to have a forum page dedicated to the subject fo fisheries management.

Lethal as long as your posts and posts from others base your agruements/discussions on fact and not hot air emotional rehtoric then any replys should be of the same nature.
We all seem to agree to certain aspects of the state of New Zealands fishery and its management good or bad but to continually attack the governemnt, MPI, commercial fishes in the way previous posts have will only serve to shut any positive discussion down where by some will then start putting in the jibe remarks, recreational fishes/customary ar'nt exact squeaky clean either.

At the recent NZSFC AGM held here in Gisborne one of the things discussed/mentioned especially in regard to Legasea was that in order to come across with any creditibility with government, MPI and other organisations is that we need to change our way of approach. Bite Time (Richard) if he sees this might better explain this than me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 8:38am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Smudge, think you may need to move this/your advisory thread into the fisheries management forum :-)
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 11:41am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

OMG thanks Kezza didnt see the above section have now moved these post into that section,

Tzer, yes you are right, have know Bite Time for longer than i can remember and have a lot of respect for him and his friends at LegaSea,
i realize they have more brains than us put together...