Yamaha 90 2 stroke oil level sensor

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cossack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yamaha 90 2 stroke oil level sensor
    Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 12:26pm
cossack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, anybody know how the oil level sensor removes from 2 stroke oil tank on the engine? Motor is AETO bout year 2000, there is a slow leak around the sensor cap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote M.I.L.F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 5:17pm
M.I.L.F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had the same problem a few months back the leak comes from the seam area on the tank all
did was got some sensor safe gasket silicon from repco  and a  small cable tie  
remove the tank and  drain all the oil out  the sensor cap should just pull out from memory clean the tank and the cap area off put  some silicone around the top off the cap area on the tank ,and a small amount the insde of the cap put the cap back use the cable tie to tighting up and put more silicone around the cap 

ps sorry for the piss poor explination  AND spelling hope it helpsWink
KING SMURFIX
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cossack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 1:03am
cossack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks shark boy explanation is good! You may well be right about where it is leaking. Others have found it is the sealing rib about 20 mil down on the assembly (inside the tank) and a fix has been to wrap some good thread tape around the raised ridge and put the sensor back in the tank. I just don't want to wreck it getting it out of the tank as I'm not sure how it releases from the tank.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote axel_003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 11:28am
axel_003 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have the same engine, cant say I've had this problem but I have found a workshop manual online. Look at Chap 8. Hope this helps: http://folk.uio.no/froder/stuff/50GETO_6H2_28197_Z9_11.pdf

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cossack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 2:29pm
cossack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You beaut! Many thanks axel_003 this will be a great help now and in the future! Much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cossack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 8:02pm
cossack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Problem solved thanks all. The sensor cap does just prise/lift off and the assembly just lifts out loose.
I put thread tape around the two small raised ridges (about 3 wraps) that are down the tube a little and around the tank lip where the cap snaps over. No more leak!! Yippee! Given the head of oil above the part of the tank the sensor sits on it is no wonder this can leak! Yamaha could do a better job of engineering this bit!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 7:20am
anarchy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey mate just make sure the washer goes back in on the sensor / filter base and that it is correctly aligned or you will have big problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cossack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 7:36pm
cossack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Anarchy, there is a small soft washer on the bottom of the assembly. Didn't handle it at all and just put it back in as is after doing the tape. Sensor works ok at low level and green light on again when filled up a bit. Fingers crossed all is well, it seems to be.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 2:38pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Service manual download here

For 60C/70C/90C Yammys

You're welcome