Whangarei Squid Fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Armoured Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whangarei Squid Fishing
    Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 6:00pm
Armoured View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've never fished for squid before but have heard they are fairly common near the wharves and jetties near the mouth of the harbour. I have purchased some squid jigs to go with some light tackle, and am thinking of fishing with my spotlight shining in the water. Does anyone know if I'm on the right track or is it a bit of trial and error. I've heard they are delicious when caught fresh which is why I'm giving it a crack.....at worst I'll have caught some fresh bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 6:39pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am certainly no expert at squid but I do believe closer to winter they are seen in shallower areas in particular around reefy areas not far off the rocks where they breed over the winter months. I also hear folk get a few down around the mardsen wharf area but exactly which areas of it you are allowed to fish I don't know as I am a boat fisho, but the wall down the far west of the loggin wharf would be a good bet.

and then there is the other side of the hrabour if its wharves your after;  Urquarts, McCleods, Parua bay...even off the pub!...Onerahi etc.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 9:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

and am thinking of fishing with my spotlight shining in the water.
No.. they are attracted to wharves because of the fixed motionless street lights.. start moving a flash light or what ever around and they are gone.
Which is why catching off a moving small boat is often not as good as the type of areas described above.
 And fresh squid.. if u compare fillet of fish quick fried same day withing hrs of catching , only chilled, to partly frozen and then defrosted from the fish monger, then times 10 (no maybe times 5)....thats the difference.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Armoured Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 9:54am
Armoured View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah I was more thinking of fixing the spotlight as I've seen them come in under a spotlight when anchored in a boat plenty of times and thought the same principle may apply. Yup, sounds like some for the pan and some for the bait bin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 9:01pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

try marsden wharf, you're in if you see black ink about the place
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish and chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 7:57am
fish and chips View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

sounds like a good meal to me yum squidThumbs Up