recommend baitcast reel for sp

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillzNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: recommend baitcast reel for sp
    Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 9:05pm
WillzNS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey just wondering if any people can recommend any bait cast style reels for SP? keen to try one out so any help appreciated cheer's
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 9:28pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My pick   ... SHIMANO 300EJ   big enough to handle a king as well as softbait and slow jigs..   the all rounder...

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 9:29pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Give us a price range and whether you'd prefer low profile or barrel type, thanks - makes it easier because there're dozens and dozens of alternatives.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishowon2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 9:41pm
fishowon2 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a Chronarch 200E7 paired with a short abu veritas 5'6" 1pc overhead rod. Nice smooth casting reel, short sensitive rod. Mate broke the rod when it was in the rocket launcher, accidently hooked the tip casting stickbaits. Still trying to decide between the same rod or try something different.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillzNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 9:46pm
WillzNS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

looking at a low profile bait caster. Anywhere up to 350 dont mind spending a bit more for a reel that will last longer and be able to take more of a thrashing. Im into my SP fishing and always end up just fishing SP the whole day on boat.. So will take the set up with me everywhere 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillzNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 9:46pm
WillzNS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by fishowon2 fishowon2 wrote:

I have a Chronarch 200E7 paired with a short abu veritas 5'6" 1pc overhead rod. Nice smooth casting reel, short sensitive rod. Mate broke the rod when it was in the rocket launcher, accidently hooked the tip casting stickbaits. Still trying to decide between the same rod or try something different.

How did that set up go with SP
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillzNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 9:47pm
WillzNS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by tas-tackle tas-tackle wrote:

My pick   ... SHIMANO 300EJ   big enough to handle a king as well as softbait and slow jigs..   the all rounder...

Thats looking good. What rod did ya match it with mate?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 10:03pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Curado or Chronarch 200s will handle anything up to about 15kg on 4 kg braid. My biggest kingi on a 200 Curado was 23kg, but it burnt the drag out and I would have had no chance had I not been on a kayak.

Daiwa HRF Series II is another one of my low profile baitcasters I like in this type/price range (now and then someone will do a brilliant deal on them: I got mine at about $160 on an FCO online special last year).

The Shimano "Dartanium" drags don't last all that well on big fish; get Carbontex drag washers.

The smaller reels make neater balanced units with the rods, to my mind, than the 300s: important when you're casting all day and fighting lots of fish.

You asked about rods: find something around 7ft 3in, rated 6-8kg or thereabout, and run 4kg non-fused braid.

PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishowon2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 10:11pm
fishowon2 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by WillzNS WillzNS wrote:

Originally posted by fishowon2 fishowon2 wrote:

I have a Chronarch 200E7 paired with a short abu veritas 5'6" 1pc overhead rod.

How did that set up go with SP

I liked it, super lightweight setup. Nice springy rod, good for softbaiting (light lures), only drawback is the butt is a bit short and jabs into the side of your forearm when needing leverage for reeling in.

But im a noob when it comes to SB so definitely heed PJs advice (chronarch is seriously nice though).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillzNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 10:13pm
WillzNS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

would anyone recommend the daiwa lexa 300 HS-P has 22pound drag and utd carbon drag etc qnd 11.2 oz is a light reel for me to cast the whole day been SP fishing with my big 4500SSV lol 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillzNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 10:19pm
WillzNS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The 200e7 chronarch could be one Im looking at getting nice lightweight set up. So will have to change drag set up to carbontex to get most out of it ? This will be my first bait cast set up so would rather buy the real deal first 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 6:10am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by WillzNS WillzNS wrote:

would anyone recommend the daiwa lexa 300 HS-P has 22pound drag and utd carbon drag etc qnd 11.2 oz is a light reel for me to cast the whole day been SP fishing with my big 4500SSV lol 

The Lexa 300 is the best baitcaster reel i have ever used, leaves the curado 300DSHV i have for deadWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rotate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 7:00am
Rotate View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

same as above i love the lexa.played with mates one with the power handle.so many times gone to buy one on ebay.so cheap for what you get.also like pjay says go with the 7ft + rod.iv worked my way up over the years from 6'6 and now run 7'6 and casting accuracy and effort is far better.when i mean effort that last part of rod is real good at easily flicking the jig where ever you want .
if looking for something good value http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/fs-everything-more-added_topic99951.html the nano sts.hes wanting $125 i paid $220 for mine.i dont think you can beat that for the price and its brand new.i dont use mine all the much its paired with a trini10a but when i do i always comment how nice it is when hooking up.my 2c anyways mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 7:45am
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The okuma komodo 273 i just picked is a beast of a reel. Casts greats, a lot of grunt in a light package and has carbon drags standard if you wanted a 200 size but with a bit more ability
Spooled mine with 200m 10lb sufix 832
I find the 300 size a bit tricky to cast regularly. But if you do want to go that way then the abu revo nacl is a very nice reel. Has both the paddle and power arm handle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 8:25am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i got a abu garcia rego premier for $300 landed nice we reel 
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 8:45am
jamesdaulton View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I fish with a abu revo toro. In my opinion if you like 'light' fishing softies in shallow to mid water a 300 or the revo is too big. Dont get be wrong I love my toro and my previous shimano 300 (now dead)... however the 200's are a lot more fun and user friendly if you are targeting snapper that are shallow to mid depth and you usually dont need all that drag. Mt abu low profile bait caster gets used for fishing 4- 6ozs of weight and eats it uo with no problems. I got a  2.5. meter shark yesterday and I was more worried abot the rod not the reel.

my next reel will be the 200 shamano that has just reached us in nz.

as mentioned above by 'FISHING ADDITION'  the 300's dont cast so well, but you can help you self out by making sure that the winding eye (thing that gos back and foward) lines up with the position of the braid on your reel when you first tread it up, otherwise the line cuts across itself when you cast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the92turtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 9:05am
the92turtle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Get the Chronarch 200e7, shes a beauty of a reel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 3:19pm
jamesdaulton View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

and buy a lh version
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillzNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 4:21pm
WillzNS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by jamesd jamesd wrote:

and buy a lh version
why LH mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote leadchucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 4:37pm
leadchucker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If you are right handed (and therefore normally cast with your right) fish the rod with your right and wind with your left.

Page  12>