Makaira Boats King Bank 940 build

Page  123 8>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Makaira Boats King Bank 940 build
    Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 10:13pm
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hi thought some of you might be interested in my new boat I'm building. I wanted a trailer boat that i can comfortably fish the three kings on and there was not anything around with the lay out i wanted so i sketched up my ultimate trailer boat and had it drawn up to survey spec. 

I have always loved the classic Carolina sport fisher boats so the boat is based around that style. It will sleeps 6 adults in proper beds including a double(not a drop down in the cabin) . It has 800L of fuel and will be powered by a volvo 370 on a duo prop leg. The boat is being built with solely game fishing in mind and long stay away capability. 

After owning a few outboard trailer boats and game fishing out of them i wanted to go diesel as i was sick of paying road tax and also hated trying to troll in a 6m boat at 8 knots (right on hump speed) hence why this boat has been designed to maximise waterline length intern increasing trolling efficiency.

I served my time as a marine engineer at one of nz's top super yacht builders so will be finishing the boat to the same standard.

I will try upload photos as often as i can from start to finish and all going well some blood on the decks next season

Cheers Allan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 10:23pm
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

9 m sheets all cut and ready to go
first frames going on the jig
all the frames, stringer sittng in place and bunks tacked to the dash bulkhead
all the frames locked off and keel bar in offering the hull plates up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vermin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 10:35pm
vermin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sounds great - looking forward to following the build.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 11:08pm
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Boat as it sits now with both hull plates and chines on. The top side are on the floor ready to be welded and offer up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014 at 11:27pm
daveo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks great mate any concept drawings of the final design?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 7:17am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Good to see another build happening Allan Thumbs Up what thickness alloy on bottom and sides?
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 7:51am
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

will find some renderings it 6mm hull 5mm topsides 8mm transom 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 8:04am
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will be a stunning build. See us up to date on the progress
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jetfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 8:54am
jetfisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looks great, will be following with interest.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote clubbiejono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 12:41pm
clubbiejono View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome, will follow this one with interest.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 12:56pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thank you these stories are addictive!
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 1:14pm
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice!! Man it would be nice to be starting from scratch and designing everything!!! keen to see your plans too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 9:00pm
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

been a big couple of days getting the sides on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 5:29pm
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hi had busy few days flipped the hull yesterday all went without any issues

night before the flip some blue marlin dip and beers

rigging it up

flipped 

big booty share line

as the boat sits now 

first of many beers on board
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 6:08pm
Barrelli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The beers look very well deserved indeed. Its going to be a beast!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jetfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 8:59pm
jetfisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

WOW, makes that beer swilling decky look like a dwarf.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 8:34am
family affair View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Same that's a machine and the some can't wait for finished photos
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 5:53pm
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

took a quick snap tonight of the boat almost done with all the welding of the hull and will be putting the decks on soon 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 9:24pm
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

a bit of progress decks going down should have a really good fishable area aft of the engine box as 4 guys can stand along the transom 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 8:22am
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks massive.  Look forward to more pics
Page  123 8>