Which Knot

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Knot
    Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 4:53pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After reading several threads on this subject I'm almost afraid to ask this, but here goes.  Due to the arrival of a new (to me) stickbait rod it's time to dust off my lures and get out on the water and throw them around a bit.  As it is currently set up the leader (100lb Mono) is attached to a swivel, which connects to the stickbait with a split ring.  I'm not really very happy with uni knots in line this thick, I don't really seem to be able to get them to look very neat.  Is there a better knot to use?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 5:07pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Uni knots in 100 pound line= No problem...should look good........use plenty of spit and form the uni up the line.....pull it up a bit tight to form knot up the line(use your thumb and finger to stop the knot sliding down as per pic) but not so tight that its hard to slip down.......then more spit........i can tie unis in 200 pound line that way without any probs..........I use 5 turn for light ...4 turn for medium and 3 turn for 200+......so imho 4 turn for 100...you are right to fuss over the knot.....make sure you are happy with its form.....practise and you will be happyWink.....you can hold the knot between thumb and finger and pull end of line with other hand and that can help it form too(ie you trap the knot)......make sure it looks good before you pull down and then it will sure up even more when you do your final pull...so to speakLOL
personally i prefer a Nt 1/0 swivel connected to a 9 or 10mm split ring.

pull knot up slowly with spit....so you dont burn the line.

There is a big gap on this split ring(so needs changing and the thimble is not necessary) swivel has smooth surface.

When tied properly the uni is a bloody good knot..hasnt failed me yet..Just re-tie after any good fish...Hope this is of some helpWink

Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 6:18pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks, I think I'm trying to put too many turns on -will try to tie it further up and slide down as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 9:26pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Kevin,

Good advice from laidbackdood.

All the best!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 9:35pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Carl of Epic Charters uses a 4 turn uniknot too Kevin.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 1:08am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Thanks, I think I'm trying to put too many turns on -will try to tie it further up and slide down as well.
Hope it works for you.....a good thing to practise, when its blowing outside and the All Blacks arent playing!.....let us know how it goesWink
This is one knot you should learn to tie blindfolded even.......Many a time used this....fishing off the bricks at night for me(no light/by feel).......Never really tied anything else.Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eastender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 7:46am
Eastender View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use a trilene knot for leaders smaller than 80lb, and an improved clinch knot with knot sleeve for heavier leaders (four turns). I find these knots simple and quick to tie, and am happy with the strength.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 8:52am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't like the idea of a uni on one of those lumo thimbles. Under extreme pressure the mono will slice through it and pull down really hard on itself, burning the line as it slides.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 4:38pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

I don't like the idea of a uni on one of those lumo thimbles. Under extreme pressure the mono will slice through it and pull down really hard on itself, burning the line as it slides.
Really? I have been using them for years for jigging and have never had a failure...............anyone else had the above happen?.............By extreme pressure ...what drag you talking? or are you talking game fishing?Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 8:21pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

Really? I have been using them for years for jigging and have never had a failure...............anyone else had the above happen?.............By extreme pressure ...what drag you talking? or are you talking game fishing?Wink

Mozz is correct, they can and do break those plastic thimbles or distort them, if using thimbles i  use crimpsWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Plastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 8:34pm
Mr Plastic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep even the jigstar grommets will cut through a uni under load. Bad with those square edges on them. The uni allways wants to slip up tighter. Uni on a solid ring is good however and an easy knot to tie super quickly. I use it to tie most hook and swivel connections. The TN knot is harder to tie but man its strong! Check it out on utube.
Synit Prototype bender
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Plastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 9:03pm
Gold
Gold

www.anglers-secrets.com/lines-and-knots/
Sorry this is the link
Synit Prototype bender
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 10:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Do you guys ever use crimps rather than a knot? Would crimps be too temperamental on 100lb with not enough room for error?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 7:01am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Do you guys ever use crimps rather than a knot? Would crimps be too temperamental on 100lb with not enough room for error?

as above smudge, i use crimps quite often but wouldnt do so to attach to a popper.

The main problem with a uni is that they keep on pulling tighter and if any imperfection in wire that you are tying too(ie not round, too small wire,burr in wire) can and will break the uni from the inside.
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Plastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 7:39am
Gold
Gold

Game crimping is seriously strong connection and ive never had one break. Never used it for topwater but have had great success on jigs. Just make sure you get the correct size for your leader. Very reliable, if they land huge marlin with them so im sure they can handle anything else.
Synit Prototype bender
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 2:53pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here's the way I  crimp them -

had one fail once when I'd landed maybe 20 kingis without changing the crimp , bit lazy but it was a hot bite . Thats a 1.0 mm crimp with 130  lb Prosele leader .
No doubt someone will tell me I've got it all wrong Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 3:38pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Rory,  no right and wrong way, some are just better than othersLOL

personally i wouldnt trust that on kingfish but that is me. I would use knot sleeve and go around popper ring twice and then crimp(make sure leader does not cross over itself) and no need for knot at tag end, just burn the end of mono to make a lump.

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 3:48pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Having landed quite a few hundred kingfish on it Im' happy with it . I believe it was Mogi who showed me that method ,still what would he know ? Didn't take long for someone to knock it . Really don't know why I bothered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 4:30pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Been using a nail knot to a solid ring,then adding a split ring so I can change lures quickly.Have found this knot tightens up neatly even when using up to 250lb leader when GT fishing.Never had it fail yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 5:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry poster....this is a bit off topic but So either knot sleeve or some plastic tubing would be good for a uni for jigging right?...........I wouldnt want to tie a uni bare to an owner 9mm solid ring...thats for sure.
How about a chain knot in mono? I would have thought the stretch of mono would act like a bungi cord quite nicely?
Page  123>